Belgian Bottles and Corking ...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanagra

Reaction score
I recently brewed my first batch going into Belgian bottles with corks and wire hoods - a Sorachi Ace clone.

I purchased the appropriate Belgian bottles, corks, and wire hoods from Northern Brewer and found a corker on Craigslist (Portuguse or Italian style I think) and am planning to bottle this weekend.

I did a 'dry run' of trying to cork a bottle or two and ran into a huge problem...

I adjusted the plunger so that about 7/8" of the cork remains outside the bottle, and was able to cork the bottle with little effort - but I cannot remove the bottle from the machine without ripping/damaging the cork (since the remaining cork on top is uncompressed when I try to remove it).

Is there some kind of trick I am missing to easily do this job?!?

Thanks for any help!

I use one hand to hold the plate (what the bottle sits on) out of the way and gently swirl the bottle while lowering it.

What corker are you using? After you cork the bottle and lift the arm back up, the jaws should open up and let go of the cork.

Corked bottles are a thing of beauty...

image.jpg

What corker are you using? After you cork the bottle and lift the arm back up, the jaws should open up and let go of the cork.

In reviewing some similar-type corkers on youtube etc, this (Protuguese/Italian?) floor corker does NOT have the spring-loaded release at the 'mouth'. The mouth where the cork is squeezed through does not change diameter or release when the handle is back at its home position - it appears to be a fixed opening.

I will have to find a creative way to 'compress and push' the top of the cork through the machine after the initial corking as not to destroy or compromise the integrity of the cork.

Those are PRETTY ass bottles my friend! Are those corks protruding 5/8" out of the bottle? I tried 5/8" and notice that the wire hoods do not rest on the top of the cork using 6-7 half-turns...

Any tips?

For reference, here is the corker I purchased...

Note that it does not have a 'quick release' at the 'mouth' like some others of this type that I have seen.

Is anyone else using a corker like this?

I've not corked any Belgians yet. I have the same Pork n Cheese corker shown in the following BrewingTV video.

Corking instructions start at the 9 min mark.

'da Kid

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the corker I have.. Works great...

When the lever comes down it squeezes the cork, then when you lift the arm back up it opens up the jaws and the bottle just pulls right out.

If your does not, then you will have to figure out a way to push the cork dow to get the bottle out.

image.jpg

I use a colona corker to bottle Belgians. It's easy to use, fully adjustable, and a hell of a lot cheaper than floor corkers.

image_2885.jpg

Back