Belgian blond ferm temps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hatepickingnames

Reaction score
I have a belgian blond in the primary blowing off at the moment. I wanted to ferm at a warmer temp than usual to get the fruit going on this one. However i have no good means of maintaining a temp. Just curious if im going to bring out the sweetness of the white labs 550 between 68 and 72 degrees F? Should it be warmer?

Not worried about it realy...just making conversation. I love belgian brews and could use some tips.

That yeast will give you more spice than fruit. I try and run it about 74/75. I have heard that if you go above that early on you can get a lot of alcohol taste. I generally take it up to 80+ F as the fermentation slows.

I think you get the best flavor by starting at 65 and letting it rise to 75 over the course of fermentation.

After reading the white labs pamphlet i realised i steered to the wrong yeast. I use wyeast but had to go to a diferent shop and they sell white labs. I dont like spicy stuff so im gonna let it go at 68 and hope to mute those tones. Round two will be a fruitier one if this one isnt.

Thanks for the info. Ill definitly do it a bit warmer next time. Ill post back in a month and give notes. Good warning on the excesive high temps.

For white lab yeasts, wlp500 will give you the most fruit. I love that strain, but its a slow starter

Hopefully this one will be good. I just love the fruit aspect of the belgians and the english brews with goldings sweetnes. Getting thirsty!

I think you get the best flavor by starting at 65 and letting it rise to 75 over the course of fermentation.

This is my recommendation as well but If you want more fruity you can start it a bit warmer.

I'm just finishing a blond with WLP500. Ferment started at 65 and went up to 72. Smells like banana awesomeness. Can't wait to get it in a keg and carbed :rockin:

550 always gives me a more peppery spicy flavor.

Thanka for the tips. Ill def do the low to high deal. The white labs was a curveball and when the hbs dude threw it to me i swung and missed. Ill be back to wyeast for the next one though. Trappist? Abbey? Belgian ale? The 500 sounds tasty, what do you guys use from wyeast?

Im looking at beersmiths yeast list. It states that labs' abbey ale is used by two of the 6 remaining trappist monestaries. Even though there are 7 trappist breweries, does anyone know which two?

most WL strains have a Wyeast equivalent and vise versa

wlp 500 = 1214
530 = 3787
540 = 1762
550 = 3522
570 = 1388

Those are the more popular ones

Yessir I used 1214 last time instead of the 500. I couldn't really tell the difference. Both are great. Fyi its the chimay strain, so use it if you like their beers.

Back