Belgian and temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricScott

Reaction score
Hello all,
I am new to brewing, having just bottled my first batch and brewed my second.
For my third, I plan to brew a Belgian Quad using Wyeast 1762. I understand it is best to keep this strain at 75 degrees so that they produce the proper esters for this kind of beer.
My plan was to keep the primary near the furnace to maintain this temp. However, I just realized, I will be away for 2 weeks, starting two weeks after I brew, meaning, the furnace will be on and temperature will be maintained for the first two weeks, but it will be off and the temperature will be... unknown... for the second two.
What do you all suggest I do? Ideas I had:
  • Wait until I return to brew.
  • Wrap a blanket around it and dont worry.
  • Raise the temperature again when I return and wait two more weeks.
  • Take a hydrometer reading when I return, raise the temperature, wait one week, and take another reading (and perhaps wait another week.)
  • Brew some other style that wont mind the cooler temp.
Do you guys like any of these ideas? Have any others?
Note, I dont want to use any sort of electric heater while Im away.

Thanks very much,
Eric

I use a swamp cooler and a fish tank heater. I think you really need to keep the temperature constant, and a swamp cooler will help with that. The swamp cooler will help keep the temperature up, and also disapate the heat generated by fermentation preventing it getting excessively high.

Wait until you get back and do it right.

If you brew and maintain the temp for the first two weeks of fermentation you should be fine. Primary fermentation should be done and all of your esters will have already been created. You could then just leave it be regardless of temp to let it finish up and condition. Some belgian beers are actually cold conditioned at that point for up to a couple of months.

Back