Belgian Ales!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just tried Affligem Blond. Mighty tasty I must say. Nice and smooth with a little twang to it, and a big creamy head. As mentioned above about Belgian beers and hefeweizen flavor, I'd have to agree, at least based on this example. Similar flavors from I'm assuming the yeast. I give it a thumbs up, now just wish I had some more. It came in an assortment from around the world at costco. Only 1 12oz bottle. :( On the bright side there are about twenty more that I've never tried before! :drunk:

I tried Duvel the other day. Didn't realize until I checked out that 1. It was over $8 and 2. It came in a 4-pack, so I was mildly irritated at first. When I got it home and tried it, though, all that went away. It was definitely worth it. Made me want to try some other Belgians soon.

Anyone know what style LaChouffe is? I almost picked up a bottle the other day, but passed it up because I know nothing about it.

Sam75 said:
Anyone know what style LaChouffe is?
LaChouffe is a Golden Ale, strong, spicy, lightly hoppy, with evoluting taste, bottle refermented, unfiltered, not pasteurized and without any additives. Sounds like a Belgian Specialty Ale?

I've had most of the beers mentioned ... :D as I lived in Germany for 9 years and have been to most of the countries in Europe.

According to my passport I've been to the Netherlands 6 times, but it's been more than twice that.

I don't care for the Krieks. They were a novelty the first couple of times.
I've had Chimay, red, blue and gold. All great.

I had a magnum of Leffe Blond Ale that I opened at my granddaughter wedding reception that went over like gangbusters. I'd like to try to brew one of them. Any recipes out there?

I do prefer Hoegarden (as I am hooked on wheat beers).

...and cilantro tastes like soap to me too.

LaChouffe is delicious, one of my favs. They also do a McChouffe as well which has the little gnomes dressed up in tartan trousers, ala scotland. That's harder to find, even in Holland I didn't get much of it, but remember that it's damn good. Typically I discovered most of my new beers after several familiar ones dammit!

kenmc said:
LaChouffe is delicious, one of my favs. They also do a McChouffe as well which has the little gnomes dressed up in tartan trousers, ala scotland. That's harder to find, even in Holland I didn't get much of it, but remember that it's damn good. Typically I discovered most of my new beers after several familiar ones dammit!

Hmm, they had both the last time I was at the only good beer store here. I'll be picking up some, then. Thanks!

Found a massive off-license (liquor store) that do every belgian beer I've ever heard of. It's a bit far away but that's ok. They even do magnum sized duvel and chimay!! Over-priced however at €22.. To buy that amount in just normal bottles would be €13. So that's what I did, bought 4 bottles, which was all my poor student wallet could afford :( :
1 Hoegaarden Verboden Vrucht (forbidden fruit)
1 Lucifer Golden ale
1 Duvel
and 1 Chimay brown trappist.

Unfortunately the were all carried lying on their sides in my bag so I couldn't drink any of them yesterday. Thought I could drink the hoegaarden as it's a long-neck and wouldn't be bottle conditioned like the other short/stocky bottles. But sure enough when I held it up to the light there was that lump of yeast stuck to the inside of the bottle-glass..

As a homebrewer, it kind of gives you a sense of kinship with the belgians, that even professionally they do it just like you :)

McChouffe's artisan brown is quite a tasty brew. Surprising spice flavor for what I knew to be a brown. Seems like it could even be a dessert beer. Went great with the Rangers' comeback last night! If only they weren't 8$ for 750mL, I'd have had enough for the shootout.

My top Belgians, right now, are (in no particular order):

St Bernardus 12
Unibroue Terrible
Rochefort 10
Duvel
Ommegang Hennepin

The most recent one out of those that I've had is the Terrible. I can't believe just how good that one is! What a great surprise!

Steve

I bought an Ommegang Three Philosophers this week which is said to be a straightforward Belgian they brew then blend with Lindeman's Kriek. It's like a 750ml so I'll have to set aside some quality time for it!

BeeGee said:
I bought an Ommegang Three Philosophers this week which is said to be a straightforward Belgian they brew then blend with Lindeman's Kriek. It's like a 750ml so I'll have to set aside some quality time for it!

i need to do the same with mine. i had a few Hacker-Pschorr Munich Elerhell's,, one Aventinus, and now a Red Bird Ale....so no big belgians tonight!:drunk:

I am still learning the complexities, but just for taste I have found Piraat, Gulden Draak, and Maredsous (triple) are excellent choices. Of course, I haven't found one that I didn't like yet. :) Everytime I go to the local import shop I have intentions of expanding my horizons but I always wind up in front of the Belgian cooler...If it ain't broke you know.

Try the Petrus Tripel too.

I've tried a good handful of Belgian ales. Delirium Nocturnum and Delirium Tremens were both very good beers.

If I am to point to one that simply wipes the others off the board though, it has to be "Tripel Karmeliet" which is . . just wonderful. Fruity, spicey, slightly sweet but not in an unpleasant way. It's about 8% and treacherous as all h. . . You just don't realise the percentage until you've had a few because its taste betrays nothing! :)

Back