Belgian Ale Recipe for yeast cake production

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjlammer

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I want to make a 10 gallon batch of belgian dark strong ale using WLP 500, 530 or 550, but i don't want to buy 8 vials of yeast.

I am planning to make a Belgian Pale Ale or similar beer using one of the yeasts listed above so that i can pitch the Belgian Dark Strong onto the yeast cake.

I have Brewing classic styles and was going to make Antwerp Afternoon, but then got to thinking that the yeasts listed above will probably dry that beer right out.

anyone have a good recipe that i can use to build a yeast cake (and get a approximately 5.0% abv beer out of it in the process?)

Funny, I did the same starting a few weeks ago...my "starter" beer is still in the fermentor...I'm planning on doing 2 6 gallon batches of the Westvleteren 12 clone, one batch of old world and one of new world recipies (search The Pious to find the threads and recipies). for my starter beer i did sort of a belgian pale ale/sudo Saison:

OG: 1.053
estimated F.G. 1.013

8.75 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM)
1.25 lb Wheat Malt, Bel (2.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Rye Malt (4.7 SRM)
0.58 lb Acid Malt (3.0 SRM)
2.34 oz Strisslespalt [4.00 %] (60 min) Hops 23.9 IBU
1.17 oz Strisslespalt [4.00 %] (0 min) Hops -
1.00 lb Candi Sugar, Amber (75.0 SRM) Sugar 6.86 %
1 Pkgs Abbey Ale (White Labs #WLP530)

single infusion mash @ 148 (I like this to be more dried out...you could mash higher for a sweeter/higher bodied beer) I would probably use different hops if I didn't have a bunch of the Strisslespalt on hand...probably Styrian Golding for the flameout addition, and anthing higher IBU for the bittering addition.

I suppose any beer would work to grow up the yeast...brew what you like!

I forgot to mention that I was going to go extract plus specialty grains for this, just for sake of ease. Haven't done an extract in a long time and thought it would be nice just to bang a beer that i am only making because I need a ton of yeast.

I guess my real question is, what malt should i add to anterwerp afternoon recipe to make sure that the High Gravity Yeast in question doesn't dry the beer out too much, and how much should i add? I also want to make sure that the beer stays malty, bready, biscuity, despite the high attenuation.

Hey guys,
but then got to thinking that the yeasts listed above will probably dry that beer right out.

They won't. Is this an all grain brew or extract? If it's all grain, the mash temp ultimately controls the fermentability of the wort. The yeast is a lesser factor.

Don't over pitch into your strong beer or it will not have good fruity Belgian qualities.

I forgot to mention that I was going to go extract plus specialty grains for this, just for sake of ease. Haven't done an extract in a long time and thought it would be nice just to bang a beer that i am only making because I need a ton of yeast.

please see above

Back