Being a homebrewer can be handy for a hurricane

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveH aka shetc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
All shuttered up and waiting for Irma. Turns out that being a homebrewer is kinda useful in this situation. Bottled water is hard to find here. But I have 2 x 11 gallon kettles, a 5 and 7.5 gallon fermenters, 2 x 5 gallon plastic bottle for holding RO water, and 1 spare 5 gallon keg, which all can be filled via my RV-friendly hose. And I can cook on my Bayou Classic banjo burner. Plus I have a keg of California Common and another of Saison in the keezer.

All shuttered up and waiting for Irma. Turns out that being a homebrewer is kinda useful in this situation. Bottled water is hard to find here. But I have 2 x 11 gallon kettles, a 5 and 7.5 gallon fermenters, 2 x 5 gallon plastic bottle for holding RO water, and 1 spare 5 gallon keg, which all can be filled via my RV-friendly hose. And I can cook on my Bayou Classic banjo burner. Plus I have a keg of California Common and another of Saison in the keezer.

What's the allure with bottled water? Can't you just fill any container with water from the sink?

I had this clean empty sanke (15.5g) sitting around here for a while. Put it to good use today :) Also filled 5 empty cornies I had. Bottled water!

_mg_2155-68362.jpg

What's the allure with bottled water? Can't you just fill any container with water from the sink?

Growing in South Georgia we would get a good hurricane or tropical storm fairly often and the plan was always fill up the sinks and bathtub in case the power for the well pump was out for an extended period of time. It was long before the fad of bottled water.

Growing in South Georgia we would get a good hurricane or tropical storm fairly often and the plan was always fill up the sinks and bathtub in case the power for the well pump was out for an extended period of time. It was long before the fad of bottled water.

For non-brewers / -keggers, the easiest thing is to buy those white food-grade 5 gallon buckets at Lowes. I think they are about 2 bucks. They stack nicely and can be used for all sorts of stuff later. Like, grain storage :) Lowes also stocks those screw-lid attachments for these buckets ( I use those).

Just buy a few of them, fill with tap water, put the lids on, and you're good. Fisticuffs at the Walmart over a case of water is kinda nuts.

What's the allure with bottled water?

I always wondered that too with Milk. Why is it that every time there's a storm or something there is a run on milk? Do people crave milk during natural disasters? We never have milk in the house but I guess that's because I live in a location that doesn't frequently get natural disasters.

Reminds me, when I was in college in MI the state government couldn't come up with a budget, so there was always a big fear that if they didn't have a budget by midnight of whatever date, there'd be no alcohol sales until the budget was passed. So what did we do? Emptied the stores. Every. Freakin. Year.

I always wondered that too with Milk. Why is it that every time there's a storm or something there is a run on milk? Do people crave milk during natural disasters?

Hilarious, my neighbor was complaining yesterday about how she was going to have milk.

PS Also have star san for sanitizing the water containers, lots of buckets for toilet water, ...

I think I have actually paid for water only a couple of times in my entire 63 years. In fact I drank a bottle of water recently and thought it tasted bad. Like minerals or something was missing. But it is nice to have plenty of vessels that you can fill with water. Beer, if you don't drink too much is just as good as water.

If you brew all grain you could probably use it for nourishment. I doubt it would be as good as oatmeal or a good steak but you could eat it if you had to.

When I was a kid we drank milk reconstituted from powder. It was pretty sucky right after you made it, but let it sit for a day and it was far better, not distinguishable from the real thing.

I don't think I ever had any that sat around but I thought that stuff was disgusting....

I always wondered that too with Milk. Why is it that every time there's a storm or something there is a run on milk? Do people crave milk during natural disasters? We never have milk in the house but I guess that's because I live in a location that doesn't frequently get natural disasters.

Reminds me, when I was in college in MI the state government couldn't come up with a budget, so there was always a big fear that if they didn't have a budget by midnight of whatever date, there'd be no alcohol sales until the budget was passed. So what did we do? Emptied the stores. Every. Freakin. Year.

I guess I don't get the milk thing either. People buy 10 gallons of milk and one of two things will happen: The storm will pass and you'll throw out 9 gallons of milk because it will spoil before you can drink that much or 2) the power will go out and you'll throw out 9.5 gallons of milk because you only had time to drink half a gallon before it spoiled in the heat!

I lived in FL back in the 80's when a hurricane was coming and I stopped aft the grocery on my way home from golfing...it was packed with people getting supplies. The TV crew was filming in the parking lot and the lady asked if I was there to get my hurricane supplies.

Me: Nope, just stopped by to pick up some beer!

I made the news that night.. :ban:

You should bottle some water and drink it in front of strangers. They'll never know it's water.

They want me to put water in my bathtub and then drink it?

They obviously haven't seen my bathtub...

*itsajoke.jif*

Another funny: My mother in law filled her tub with water within the last few years expecting a power outage. She had done this all her life. I reminded her that she hadn't had well water for decades, and it would be a very long power outage before the water towers were empty. People around here stocked water before Y2K. I didn't think anything would happen, but I was sure gravity would still work.
Be careful about that storm in Florida, good luck.

Back