Beginning of a lacto infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrispy92

Reaction score
Hey guys so opened up my Rye pale ale today to find what I'm pretty sure is my first infection. Looks to me like the beginning of a pellicle, the bubbles between yeast rafts and the White bits up the side of the bucket.

So I need some experience from others. I'd consider letting it sour out, do you think there is a chance it will turn out well? How long will this bucket be out of commission for to fully ferment the beer? My ambient temps are between 50-65 will this slow down the souring?

So things I'm considering is that it as a rye pale with 40% rye and fair amount of hops, how will this effect the souring? Would throwing in some sort of fruit be something to consider?

Never thought too much of going down this path but now that it's happened I figure why not...

Ps here's a pic for those who are curious

image.jpg

It doesn't particularly look like an infection to me. However, I've never seen that many yeast rafts in a beer after the krausen dropped, so it definitely looks unusual to me.

It doesn't particularly look like an infection to me. However, I've never seen that many yeast rafts in a beer after the krausen dropped, so it definitely looks unusual to me.

I've had a few beers with as many yeast rafts, none with the bigger slick bubbles between though... Nor the white growths up the side.

Hmm

Unless you have been doing an open ferment or have been opening the lid too often I highly doubt that you have an infected batch. Most infections require some oxygen and with the lid on and an airlock there will be mostly CO2 trapped in the space above your beer.

Well airlock had a crack in it an it ran dry for probably a week when I didn't look at it. Air temps have been fluctuating quite a lot and it's been sitting at an ambient between 50-65 so I'd say there's been a fair amount of air moving in and out.

I'll keep an eye on it then if you all don't think I have cause for concern. Just never seen the white bits.

Well airlock had a crack in it an it ran dry for probably a week when I didn't look at it. Air temps have been fluctuating quite a lot and it's been sitting at an ambient between 50-65 so I'd say there's been a fair amount of air moving in and out.

I'll keep an eye on it then if you all don't think I have cause for concern. Just never seen the white bits.
How long since pitch date? Sounds like well over a week. Its most likely done.
You could just bottle/keg now or cold crash to stop any infection.

I scraped all the foam and yeast off with a ladle just because it was grossing me out

Back