Beginning equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tenorposaune

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've been lurking here for quite some time (and learning a lot!) but thought it might be time to chime in to the conversation. When I first started brewing, I really didn't know what I was doing, so I went to my LHBS and bought their "deluxe kit" of equipment, which I was told was everything I would need. After having brewed a number of batches, I now feel qualified to say that I most definitely did not get everything I needed, but did get some things I didn't need. My goal of this post is to help newbies get what they need without wasting as much money and time as I did. I've put the items I think should be in a beginner's kit in bold face.

Here's what I got, with a brief reaction based on my experience:

8 gallon plastic fermentor bucket with a rubber stopper and airlock
This is the heart of the exercise; you definitely need a fermentor.

Sanitizer sample
Sanitizing all your stuff is necessary. For awhile I tried bleaching but sanitizer is easier. Go with it.

Capper and caps
Unless you're kegging, which you're probably not as a beginner, these are necessary.

Siphon hose, bottling wand, and racking cane
The hose and bottling wand are necessary. The racking cane, not so much. Siphoning the wort between containers is difficult, messy, and error-prone for beginners. I recommend spending the extra $10 and upgrading to an autosiphon right from the beginning. They're not too expensive, and they're worth every penny.

6 gallon glass carboy for secondary fermentation
Many experienced homebrewers don't rack to a secondary fermenter at all. This is completely unnecessary for a beginner, and it was by far the most expensive item in my kit. The store was just trying to find some way to take my money.

Extract kit and priming sugar
Yes, we all want to jump right into all-grain brewing from our own recipes, but it makes sense to start smaller. Go with the kit for your first batch.

I also bought 2 cases of bottles, but in hindsight, this was silly. Anyone who is brewing beer probably already consumes their fair share. Save the bottles you drink, wash them up, and don't spend more money. You'll need about 50 brown 12oz bottles (avoid the clear ones).

The big thing that is not mentioned in any of these kits is your brew kettle. Besides your fermentor, this is your most important piece of equipment. I bought a cheap 3 gallon aluminum pot, figuring that for extract batches, it was sufficient. That was not the case. The wort bubbles violently, and when it boils over, the sticky wort is a real pain to get off of your stove. You want something large enough to have plenty of head room above the wort to contain the mess. Instead of buying the expensive glass carboy, invest in an 8-gallon pot. This will handle your extract batches with ease and will grow with you as you scale up to a full boil.

Also, you will need a digital scale with sensitivity down to a tenth of an ounce. I had a cheap spring scale which was fine for weighing pounds of extract and grains. But, when it came to measuring hops, I had no way to weigh quantities less than an ounce.

The other consideration is a wort chiller. There are a lot of ways to cool your wort down after the boil, and I don't personally use an immersion chiller. But if you can't move your brewkettle to a sink/tub filled with ice water (either because of weight or size issues), a wort chiller is probably something you'll want to look at as your next purchase after the initial kit.

Happy brewing!

Are you sure you got the deluxe kit. Most kits I've seen include a hydrometer, bottling bucket a thermometer, carboy or bottle bush, PBW and an 8oz bottle of no rinse sanitizer, a how to book. Plus what you listed. It should be a 5 gallon carboy not a 6 gallons.

Yes, this is why I'm posting. I suspect most stores will help newbies out, but I was very displeased with the service I got and want to help other first-timers look out for the kind of unscrupulous behavior I experienced. The hydrometer was my first additional purchase, and I'm now using a brewkettle with a valve that doubles as my bottling bucket -- but there wasn't one in my kit. I use my own instant-read thermometer with a clip. They gave me a piece of crap bottle brush, but I had a better one in my kitchen anyway - no carboy brush. No book. They claimed it was a 5 gallon carboy, but it is definitely 6 -- the first time I racked to secondary I was very surprised by the excess headroom (read: oxygen) in there. I wonder if they were out of stock and tried (successfully!) to take advantage of somebody who didn't know better. They do sell a kit with a hydrometer, carboy brush and book in addition to what I listed, and they charge $265 for it.

You could always use that 6 gallon carboy as an additional primary fermenter. Double the fun plus you can see your yeast going nuts during active fermentation :D

I did not see a bottling bucket on the list.

Though the 8-gal pot is great and certainly required when you start considering BIAB of full boil extract, a 3-gal pot works just fine for partial boil IF you have the right instructions (use 1.5 gallons of water plus one # of DME or LME for your boil, add the rest at the end). Also, as beginner, someone should have told you over and over and over again to watch the pot obsessively until a stable boil is achieved.

My kit that I cobbled together to give a friend just trying things out was as follows:

Ale Pail fermentor with hole and grommet in the lid for the airlock...think they are about 6.5 Gal
Ale Pale bottling bucket with the "good" red and clear valve
Airlock
Hydrometer
Inexpensive glass "lab" thermometer
Transfer tubing, autosiphon and spring-loaded bottling wand
Campden tablets
Wing capper, caps
Small Star San and a cheap spray bottle

More that half this stuff I do not use at all anymore so do not think you won't outgrow even the best beginner's kit.

I do not understand the partial oz scale on your list and I would have them order pre-measured kits the first 1-3 brews. That is novice/intermediate for me.

I am about to ask what may be a stupid questions but I am new to home brewing and am going to ask the question anyways. My wife recently bought me a home brew kit for my birthday and I plan to brew my first batch this weekend. It is a solid kit and it has all the equipment that has been listed on this post. I previously had a stainless steel turkey fryer that I plan to use as my brew kettle. Looking over the recipe for my first batch it caused me to have some additional questions regarding equipment needs.

The recipe indicates to heat water and steep the specialty grains. Then place the grains in a strainer and pour additional heated water over the grains. Does it matter in what kind of container I heat the water? The only other pots/saucepans I have our non-stick pans? The same question applies for the sauce pan used to boil/heat priming sugar for bottling. Do I need to invest in additional stainless steel pots for these steps? Or am I ok with what i got? I'm just asking in regards to simply being able to brew my first batch. Thanks in advance. I apologize if this in the wrong thread.

Thanks for your post. I am looking to get into brewing my own beer. I know very little about it. I found this
Website today. Can you recommend a certain kit to buy, possibly off Amazon? I don't have a HB store anywhere near me.

Awesome. Thanks! Most of these kits do not come with a brew kettle, correct?

Thanks for your post. I am looking to get into brewing my own beer. I know very little about it. I found this
Website today. Can you recommend a certain kit to buy, possibly off Amazon? I don't have a HB store anywhere near me.

Homebrewing.org

http://www.homebrewing.org/Beginner-Beer-Making-Kits_c_205.html

http://www.hopsshack.com/shopsite/s...f9f&ss_parm=A6275abbfaf1413b21639bcfb74f90da5

I think that you just need a separate bottling bucket with the Brewers Best kit from hop shack.

FYI, post your location and some or a whole lot of folks will invite you to one of their own brew days. No better way to get a taste than watch, and helping, someone else do the work while drinking their end result.

Awesome. Thanks! Most of these kits do not come with a brew kettle, correct?

Most of the kits that I've seen do not include the kettle at least I haven't seen one or many. I'm sure someone can point you to a link or something. You can probably get away with something you have at your house if you're just dipping your toes in the water. Just make sure it's really clean. If/when you decide to buy something, keep in mind the size of the kettle and the size of your kitchen. I didn't have anything at my house that I could use so I picked up a 30 qt SS brew kettle and it wouldn't fit on my stove under the microwave. :smack: So, rather than returning it, I just picked up a propane burner for outside and just do full boils. Which is great but brewing in the dead of winter, even in Colorado, isn't always idea.

FYI, post your location and some or a whole lot of folks will invite you to one of their own brew days. No better way to get a taste than watch, and helping, someone else do the work while drinking their end result.

Really good idea. Wish I would have heard this a few weeks ago. My LHBS puts on a class of sorts for $20 (you get a free beer from the brewery next door and 15% off your purchase). You watch the owner do a full boil extract batch using a lot of the same equipment you can pick up in one of the kits. He goes through the process step-by-step and since there's downtime, you can ask a bunch of questions. While I would prefer to learn from a buddy, I unfortunately don't have any friends that home brew (yet).

The other option is to look on MeetUp.com or check your area for a homebrew club (http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/community/clubs/find-a-homebrew-club/).

When I started, I found a set of 4 nested SS stock pots with steamer trays on sale @ Giant Eagle for some $25+ tax. From 1 1/2G to 5 gallon. Walmart has them too, as well as other local stores. Shop around for good deals, especially in the fall during harvest canning season.

The store was just trying to find some way to take my money.

[...]

I was very displeased with the service I got and want to help other first-timers look out for the kind of unscrupulous behavior I experienced.

In their defense, I'm not sure that what you experienced was deliberate "unscrupulous behaviour," but rather that they're probably merely operating using outdated concepts and practices. Is it possible the store staff didn't know any better? Never assume malice where ignorance will suffice.

Heck, look around here and you'll find no shortage of people who still swear by using a secondary. I personally think it's a waste, but it's at least debatable. I don't think it's a clear-cut example of "unscrupulous" behaviour.

Why such a big primary fermenter? 8 gallons is a lot of wasted headspace and potential for infection/oxidation.

Well, as for my 7.9G bucket, it's the shorter, wider one from Midwest. So the head space is decent enough to get by with 6 gallons if a blow-off were used. But seems to be fine so far for 5 gallons.

I think I'm going to purchase a propane burner. I learned how difficult trying to boil a large quality on a stove is when we canned tomatoes last summer.

Would a 5 gallon kit be reasonable for a beginner?

Most "beginner" kits are 5 gallons. When I bought my first kit in December it came with everything I needed to start. Upgraded the thermometer to the stainless with clip got a spoon and an auto siphon. I looked around online a lot to see different kits. The best thing anyone can do when just starting out, in any hobby really, is do all the research you possibly can before jumping in head first. Most kits will get you up and running and that's about it. Over time I'm sure my equipment will grow as I progress up to all-grain but for now I have everything I need to make beer.

I think I'm going to purchase a propane burner. I learned how difficult trying to boil a large quality on a stove is when we canned tomatoes last summer.

It is how most of us start out. Just take some the advice from this thread and try to pick one that contains useful items...or build your own.

I'm not sure if you're taking about posting it on this forum or somehow update my location on my profile. I clicked my profile, but didn't see a place for location.

Anyways... I'm from southwest VA

New to this forum.

I started with a Mr. Beer kit back in the '90's. From conversations with various people in the know I accumulated other supplies. I actually acquired a 5 gal. carboy for free. Then found a 6 gal. for about $20 at a flea market. Some things are leftovers from Mr. Beer and the others are replacements.

On another topic, I just put a batch in secondary and I've been doing that almost from the time I got the 2nd carboy. I don't mind doing it, plus it gives me a chance to taste the young beer. I don't know how much, if any, that it helps/hurts but it's not that much work.

Back