Beginning Brewer - 3rd batch (LME) / Fermentation not the same

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So...not sure where to start here, so let me know if I need to provide more information. My goal (before you read this whole post) is to find out if I should toss this batch or give it more time.

Belgian Tripel (Kit270, MoreBeer.com) / LME, DME / No Steeping Grains
Brew Day (23 Jun)
3g of water to boil / cut heat / added LME, DME, Sugar Syrup / added heat
**forgot to dial in propane tank to correct heat**
Boil over before adding hopps / cut heat / added correct heat / 60min hopps
Added Whirfloc @ 5min
Added hopps @ 1min
Ice Bath to ~88F
Transfered to fermenter / added 2.5g water / S33 yeast (84F)
-- Estimated OG (1.074 - 78) / Actual 1.083
--12 hrs later, added T58 yeast (because I wanted the T58, not the S33...for flavoring)

Notes:
I think sanitization went well--no reason to think otherwise, but will answer specific questions if you have them.
Using SoFC for fermentation @ 63-64F
I've attached pictures at Days 4 and 8

Attachments

• 06-28 (Day 4) .jpg
    06-28 (Day 4) .jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 121
  • 07-01 (Day 8).jpg
    07-01 (Day 8).jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 111
Pics aren't great but it looks like a left over krausen ring with some residual yeast rafts on top. Sounds like you missed active fermentation. A gravity will tell you but I see no reason to bother it until you're getting ready to package.

Pics aren't great but it looks like a left over krausen ring with some residual yeast rafts on top. Sounds like you missed active fermentation. A gravity will tell you but I see no reason to bother it until you're getting ready to package.
The ring...
When I transferred from kettle to fermenter, and added water, it formed bubbles on top. Then, I pitched yeast. It is possible that the Krauzen formed as the bubbles were disipating...they appeared to "stay" for 2 or 3 days.

yep...knew I was forgetting something. No krausen is forming. My first two batches were extremely active...inches on top of wort.

I am seeing activity in airlock every 20 seconds. Was 10 seconds on day 4

Airlock activity is entertaining, but it's not a good way to know how the fermentation is progressing. Others noted the possibility of a krausen ring in the photos - so it's possible that fermentation started and finished without you seeing it in progress.

To know that fermentation is complete, look for a stable FG measurement within the estimated FG range. This is generally done by taking a FG measurement after about a week, then taking additional measurements every couple of days until the FG is stable.

Looks like the fermentation may be near completion. What is the temperature of the beer in the fermentor? Check the SG with a hydrometer in a few more days.

There is trub at the bottom. Temp has been around 64-66F.

I will do a gravity check tonight and then again in a few days.

Thanks for all the info. Below is the picture from last night.

Attachments

• 20180702_201632.jpg
    20180702_201632.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 53
Back