beginners Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kreskin

Reaction score
Hi all,
So here is the deal. Ive never brewed before so I thought I would start with a nice root beer.
Several brew attempts later and all my brews have a horrible ruined flavor. I have tried several different things to ensure sanitation but it seems that might not be the only problem. Im using a traditional roots/herbs recipe with brewers yeast. Any suggestions as to something I might not be doing or if Im just expecting something that isnt going to happen? =)

Im a newb, lol.

We need more details about your recipe and process. There is also a separate forum for soda making.

whoops, sorry. I looked for one but I guess I missed it.

the recipe I used was this:

* 1 vanilla bean
* 1 licorice root
* 3/4 cup chopped dried sarsaparilla root
* 2 tablespoons dried sassafras root bark
* 1 tablespoon chopped dried burdock root
* 1 cinnamon stick
* 1 tablespoon Cardamom
* 3 quarts distilled water
* 2 cups lightly packed dark brown sugar
* 1 tablespoon molasses
* 1/8 teaspoon ale yeast

When the carbonation was complete there was no lack of it. It fizzed very well, but as I mentioned it was just ruined. I even tried brewing just using a root beet extract so as to not bother with all the roots. But it turned out the same way, plenty of carbonation.
I tried a fermentation process of 2 days, 4 days, 1 week and two weeks to vary that and see if that was the problem. but no luck. So obviously something is fermenting...lol

If you let it ferment too long, its going to lose its sugars and gain alcohol. I am guessing you ferment it just long enough to carbonate.

I really don't know anything about soda making, but what do you mean by ruined? Is it not sweet at all? I wonder if you back sweetened with something the yeast couldn't eat (like splenda) if it would make a difference?

Back