Beginners bad luck?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinch

Reaction score
Just got done brewing my very first batch and as I was putting the air lock into the hole of the bucket lid, the rubber stopper passed through the hole and straight to the bottom of the brew. I figured I had no other way to complete the job but to strain it into a funnel and into my Better Bottle which I WAS going to use for secondary fermentation but now... well... anybody have any idea of what I can expect?

:mug:No problem, nothings really working yet. Your wort may have got a little aerated, your yeast may work even better.:mug:

That's exactly what happened to me on my first batch with an ale pail! I sanitized, and that slippery sucker shot right into my fresh wort when I stuck the airlock in.

I was afraid to move it, so I just left it in there and grabbed some duct tape to hold my airlock in place. It turned out great!

It happens all the time, so I bought another $.35 grommet. Of course, I also learned to stick the airlock on the lid, then the lid on the bucket. I sound like Rain man now, muttering, "Airlock on the lid, then the lid on the bucket". It never happened again, but I was ready for it the next time!

Ha! Sorry, not laughing at you, laughing at the fact that my brother-in-law just called me cussing about the same thing happening to him tonight.

You probably would have been ok just leaving it in there. How much damage could a tiny piece of rubber do? ;)

Ha! Sorry, not laughing at you, laughing at the fact that my brother-in-law just called me cussing about the same thing happening to him tonight.

You probably would have been ok just leaving it in there. How much damage could a tiny piece of rubber do? ;)

I wasn't sure... already totally paranoid with all the reading I've done about sanitation/contamination/bacteria/off taste etc.

Thanks to everyone who responded! I'm a lot calmer now. My wife could tell you, I haven't been a whole lot of fun to be around since the incident.
:drunk:

How's this lookin?
DSCF0947.jpg

Latest posts

Back