Beginners advise needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kieron Hodgson

Reaction score
Hello

I am making hard cider for the first time after being gifted a brewing kit for christmas. So far I am enjoying the process and I can see myself making plenty more in the future.

At the moment I have added everything to a large 23 litre container and followed all steps correctly and am 2 days into fermentation. There is a thick bubbly foam on top of the cider which I am guessing is a good sign as the yeast is doing its thing?

The container has just a normal lid so no way of letting gasses escape so should I lift it slightly now and again to ease some of the pressure as the lid is bulging slightly now

Also just to double check should i now wait until any foam from top sinks to the bottom before bottling?

And advise would be appreciated

Hello new member. I hope this is a troll.

If it’s not, then please release the gas from your fermentation vessel.

If this is a troll then please continue to entertain me..I’m drinking and I’m bored.

Oh please be a troll!

Hello Kieren. Read the sticky "Cider for beginners" from Yooper at the top of the forum. That should answer most of your questions.

And yes, crack the lid and leave it ajar.

reminds me of drying/toasting whiskey soaked oak chips in the oven.....thankfully i didn't have the self-clean lock closed....lol

edit: now that i think about it though, fermenting under pressure is a feature? isn't it?

reminds me of drying/toasting whiskey soaked oak chips in the oven.....thankfully i didn't have the self-clean lock closed....lol

edit: now that i think about it though, fermenting under pressure is a feature? isn't it?

Yes, but a spunding valve allows you to ferment at a specific pressure.

Back