Beginner Recipe Formulation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBruchwalski

Reaction score
I have been looking at the Northern brewer catalog that recently came out and have been pondering with my NB Malt Extract kit about how to possibly change up my Robust Porter recipe and make it a more chocolate-like porter. Along with this I followed a basic rule of thumb from one of the books I am currently reading "The Complete Joy of Homebrewing 3rd Edition". The book has a table for a sweeter stout which I am hoping I can possibly revise a little into a Porter or possibly just keep it a sweet stout. I would appreciate any help with this as this is my first shot at messing with different ingredients outside of a kit.

So here is what I was looking at ingredient wise:

6 Lbs of dark malt extract

1 Lbs of Crystal Malt
Simpsons Dark Crystal?
Suggestions?

1/4 Lbs Black roasted malt
Simpsons chocolate?
Faucet Pale Chocolate?
Dingemans Aromatic Malt?

1/4 Lbs Roasted Barley
Any suggestions?

1 Oz Whole Hops
Goldings?
Fuggles?
Willamette?

Yeast- Ale
WYeast Irish Ale?
NB NeoBritannia?

Secondary fermentation
1/4 - 1/2 Lbs
Breiss Organic Chocolate?
Cocoa Nibs?

Like stated before I am still completely new to the ingredients and to the recipe formulation. I just took the table from my book for a sweet stout and transferred what I was reading to the NB catalog to try to come up with something similar.

What are your thoughts on the ingredients? Does it sound like something that may work or am I all over the place? Any suggestions for a malt extract Sweet Stout/Porter that has a chocolate flavor?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated! Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I don't make porters or stouts so I'm not much help with the ingredients. Your method of comparing the book to the website is exactly how I build my recipes though. Brew on!

Thank you RobInOre.

I'm assuming the amount of my grains is wrong though? Would you have any idea when it comes to the amount of grain utilizing malt extract?

So if I just use the normal Robust Porter kit that I have and just add the Cocoa Nibs in the secondary fermenter call it good and see how I like it?

So if I just use the normal Robust Porter kit that I have and just add the Cocoa Nibs in the secondary fermenter call it good and see how I like it?

That or maybe some cocoa powder during the bowl, at say, 15 min?

So I have heard that bakers cocoa with no extra additives or preservatives is okay. Do you all agree? Is there any extra flavors other other than chocolate that it gives when adding it?

So I have heard that bakers cocoa with no extra additives or preservatives is okay. Do you all agree? Is there any extra flavors other other than chocolate that it gives when adding it?

I've never had any ill effects from using 100% unsweetened cocoa powder, just don't use too much of it.. Maybe a tbsp for 5g batch? Obviously you can change this whichever direction you want based on your preference. You could also go with the cocoa nibs in the fermenter as well, but again, its all in your preference. I've personally had good luck with the cocoa powder.

So would it be too much or over powering to use the cocoa powder in the boil and then about 1 week into fermentation use some cocoa nibs? Also, how much cocoa nibs should be used in the fermentation process?

I am trying to get a Young's Double Chocolate if anyone has tried it. I don't want to make an exact clone but my wife really liked the chocolate flavor of it so I am trying to make this have a very clear and distinct chocolate flavor.

I'm doing a double chocolate stout kit from Austin homebrew right now that's compared to Youngs, it's still in fermentation right now, I can send you that recipe if u want

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

For a porter I'd lose the Roast Barley. The style guidelines specifically show roast as a primary difference between a stout and a porter--though personally I don't see its presence as bad in a porter.

I'm just getting ready to go on duty. I'll post in a bit.

Bring 2 gallons of water to 155F and turn off the heat.

Grains:

12oz Chocolate Malt
4oz Crystal 40l Malt
2oz Black Roasted Barley
8oz Pale Ale Malt
2oz Black Patent Malt

Steep grain in hot water for 25 minutes, and teabag it (dunk it in the water like a teabag occasionally).

Add 1 gallon of water and bring to a boil.

Turn off the heat and remove pot from burner. add the following:

7lb Dark Extract
14oz Corn Sugar (ABV Boost, 1%)
8oz Malto Dextrin
1oz Galena Hops

At 15 min add:

1 tsp Irish Moss
1lb Lactose
1 tsp Unsweetened Cocoa Powder (not necessary unless you really want that chocolate taste to come out)
Yeast Fuel (if you so choose, I used it)

At 5 min add:
1oz Belgian Cocoa Powder

I used White Labs London Ale 013 yeast, but you could also use Wyeast British Ale 1098 or a Dry Equivalent.

My OG came out at 1.071
It is still in fermentation, so I do not have a FG yet and I didn't write down Beersmiths estimated FG before I left the house. I will add that later.

Make sure you top off to about 5.25 Gallons in your fermenter. Secondary fermentation is not necessary, nor are Cocoa Nibs.. When I tasted the wort, it was definitely a chocolate beer. I am sure a lot of that will die down during fermentation, so I don't plan on using my nibs. If you were to use nibs, make sure you soak them in vodka for three days to sanitize, then drop them in your fermenter for a few days before bottling.

Thanks for the recipe! Definitely going to try this out. Going to my LHBS next week.

You said you didn't use the cocoa nibs, is there any reason why? Please keep me posted on the taste when you bottle!

I didn't use the nibs because I went ahead with cocoa powder I had on hand, and it gave it enough of a rich chocolate taste, I decided to forgo the nibs. Now if you didn't use the regular cocoa powder at 15min, I'd probably go with the nibs. The Belgian chocolate powder is a must use for sure.

Okay. I would think that the sweetened would just raise alcohol because it would help feed the yeast.

I think it has something to do with oils. I don't know. I've always seen unsweetened

Back