Beginner needing beer advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jzilla

Reaction score
I brewed a lager on Sunday and there was a nice thick foam on the top. The next night 36 hours later the foam was gone. There has been no airlock action but could be a bad lid seal. Did a hydrometer reading Monday (day 3) and reading was 1.010 the sample was nice no sour taste. The instructions informs me to take a reading at day 5 and then day 6. And when both readings are the same you should leave for a week to make sure beer is clean. So all up it's around 12 days fermenting before bottling. My question is, is this right as I read everyone leaving ferment a lot longer. I have 2 brews a lager and a Mexican beer which read 1.020 day 3

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

A lot of people will leave their beer in the fermenter for anywhere from 2-4 weeks, sometimes even longer. This gives the yeast a chance to clean up after themselves and drop out of suspension a little bit. Plus, if I understand correctly, the cooler temperatures that lagers ferment at cause the yeast to work slightly slower than beers brewed at ale temperatures. Normally, I don't bother checking my gravity until the beer has been fermenting for at least two weeks. As a disclaimer though, I have not yet brewed a lager.

Cool thanks for that, there is so much advise circling the net regarding beer. I might leave it for 2 weeks and then take a reading a day apart with the meter. :)

No problem. One more thing you could try if you have the ability, and are not pressed for time is to cold crash it in your fridge for a few days to a week. That should help most of the yeast and sediment drop out of suspension, as well as solidifying the trub a little bit, so it'll come out clear when you rack it to your keg/bottling bucket.

I might do that, I have a little beer fridge I could squeeze it in I think. It's sitting in a dark room at 24-25 at the moment. The only thing I did wrong was put the yeast in when the brew was to warm. But after having tasting a sample at day 3 it tastes like beer

That's the important thing. If it tastes like beer, and you like the taste, I'd consider that a win.

Thanks for you words big help.

No worries. I'm sure others will have some great advice for you as well, once they see the thread. There's a wealth of knowledge on here, and very friendly people.

Thanks mate, I have decided to leave for 2 weeks and then test the gravity. Thanks for your input. I thought 10 seemed a bit short.

Latest posts

Back