Beginner kegging question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keith6292

Reaction score
I put my beer in the keg on Monday evening. Today is Wednesday and there is zero signs of carbonation in the beer. The psi is at 12.

I am new to kegging, so any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks

It can take a while at 12 psi. I typically chill my keg for a day before pressurizing because the CO2 dissolves into the beer more rapidly when it is cold. At 12 psi, yoy may be waiting up to a week to carb up.

If you're looking to carb up faster you can ramp it up to 25 psi for a few days

It would need to sit for at least a week at that pressure (assuming it's also at serving temp) to show signs of carbonation. If you're too impatient search for "burst carb" or "force carb" on the interwebs. Not with this batch, of course...next one.

Force carbing requires a bit of extra pressure, usually around 30-35 psi of head, depending on how much head space is in the keg. Additionally, it takes about a week for the beer to come to equilibrium. Just don't leave your tank tapped while your beer is carbing.

As the beer becomes carbonated, CO2 dissolves in the beer and the partial pressure of CO2 in the head space diminishes. Ergo, a beer that is already carbonated to 12 psi will remain that way in the presence of 12 psi in head space.

Force carbing requires a bit of extra pressure, usually around 30-35 psi of head, depending on how much head space is in the keg. Additionally, it takes about a week for the beer to come to equilibrium. Just don't leave your tank tapped while your beer is carbing.

Just to clarify terminology, force carbing includes both the set and forget method (i.e. carbing at regular serving/equilibrium pressures like 10-14 psi) and burst carbing that you refer to, i.e. carbing for short periods of time at higher than the target equilibrium pressure to speed up the process. Set and forget takes about 2 wks to reach equilibrium, but as mentioned above you can often have enough carbonation for drinking at around 1 wk. Most folks burst carb for only 24-36 hrs so as not to overshooot. Not sure what you mean about leave your tank tapped, you do need to leave the gas on to achieve carbonation.

I'd crank it up to 20 psi or so and wait another couple days and see if you notice any signs of carbonation.

Sort of obvious but check all your connections to make sure you're not leaking any gas. Check your regulator too to make sure it's not closed or something. I've done that before... :smack:

I set my regulator at 12 and leave the keg in the keezer which it sounds like you are doing. It take 10-14 days to reach full carbination. If you're in a hurry you can crank up as outlined above but I don't have an issue with waiting for it.

Hello
I never kegging before have a beer there is ready but wont get my freezer before next week should I leave the beer in the fermenter or could i put the beer into the keg and set the psi at 12 at 65 degree and the move it into the freezer next week.

Hello
I never kegging before have a beer there is ready but wont get my freezer before next week should I leave the beer in the fermenter or could i put the beer into the keg and set the psi at 12 at 65 degree and the move it into the freezer next week.

CO2 goes into solution better at cold temperatures, you need to refer to a force carbing table,

http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php

at 65 you need 25-30 psi for two weeks to reach ~2.5 vols of C02 in solution

however if after one week you move it to the fridge/keezer, you need to adjust your pressure to the new temperature. Assuming that new temp is ~38, drop it to 10-12 psi as mentioned elsewhere in this thread

As the beer becomes carbonated, CO2 dissolves in the beer and the partial pressure of CO2 in the head space diminishes. Ergo, a beer that is already carbonated to 12 psi will remain that way in the presence of 12 psi in head space.

If the CO2 tank valve is open, the partial pressure of CO2 in the headspace will not decrease as the beer absorbs CO2. If you close the CO2 tank valve, and the beer is not fully carbed (in equilibrium with the CO2 partial pressure), then the CO2 partial pressure will drop as the beer absorbs more CO2 (assuming there is not enough CO2 in the high pressure plumbing to finish the carbonation.)

Brew on :mug:

Back