Beginner Coopers Lager kit - Which yeast, which enhancer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Morgan

Reaction score
I've recently purchased the Coopers Lager kit (https://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Coopers_40_pint_Lager_Beer_Kit.html), which comes with Brew Enhancer 1. I've also purchased a Copers Bootmaker Pale Ale kit (https://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/coopers-bootmaker-pale-ale-beer-kit.html), as well as SafAle-US 05 yeast as I've read it's meant to be a lot better than the yeast supplied with the kits.

I'd like the brew the Lager first, however I've read that BE1 + SafAle-US 05 + Coopers Lager kit may not be the best combination. I was hoping that someone may be able to point me in the right direction regarding a nice tasting, easy to make beginners Lager, using the lager kit. As in, which is the best yeast and best BE to use with this kit (I'm aware it's all personal preference, but as I've never done this before I'm just hoping for a Lager that I can drink and tastes half decent...). I've read about DME's and LME's and am just getting a bit confused as to what's best to use for a first brew.

If anyone can also offer advice on the best way to brew the Bootmaker Pale Ale as well that would be great.

With both kits I'm happy to experiment a bit (if recommended).

Thanks in advance,
Joe

If you have the ability to control the temperature during the fermentation in the correct range for a lager yeast you can make a lager. If you don't have that ability, then use the Coopers yeast as that strain will give you decent results at a higher temperature that can be achieved without using a fermentation chamber. Try to keep it as cool as you reasonably can, within the range that the yeast prefers. The cooler temperatures will help keep the off flavors under control.

The Bootmakers pale ale using US-05 should be fairly easy but again, ferment somewhat cool. I try for 62F (about 17C) during the ferment and the activity of the yeast raises that to 64 without active control. A tub of water that you can set the fermenter into will help keep the temperature cool and if necessary you can add ice to it. After about 4 days you can let it warm up to room temp.

If you have the ability to control the temperature during the fermentation in the correct range for a lager yeast you can make a lager. If you don't have that ability, then use the Coopers yeast as that strain will give you decent results at a higher temperature that can be achieved without using a fermentation chamber. Try to keep it as cool as you reasonably can, within the range that the yeast prefers. The cooler temperatures will help keep the off flavors under control.

Thanks for the reply!

Maybe I'll go ahead with using the Coopers yeast + lager kit then. Would it be better to use BE1 or BE2? I have BE1 already but have 1kg BE2 coming tomorrow.

Thanks

Back