Beginner Brewing All Grain | Brew In A Bag

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JaggersBrewingCo

Reaction score
I throw together another Beginner Brewing video covering the All Grain side and Brew In A Bag. Much shorted video due to breezing over the stuff covered in the Extract video.

I am sure that most people on this site do not necessarily need this video, but to the more seasoned brewers did I miss anything?

Can never go wrong with a video featuring a cowbell. Hail State!

Hahaha I saw it a few months before shooting this video, My wife said no... I told okay but if we come back and this is still here then yes... And it was still at the store the next time we came so I had to have it!

I have been slowly but surely adding some stuff as back drops and etc. I feel good about how we have gotten better and bigger! Also thanks so much for the view and the comment!

@JaggersBrewingCo : with regard to "extract darker than expected", here's a video (link) where the presenter makes an DME-based Helles with color that's appropriate to style

Thanks for the Info! I will check it out as soon as we get done in the garden and what not today. That seems very interesting and worth digging into further for sure!

@JaggersBrewingCo : with regard to "extract darker than expected", here's a video (link) where the presenter makes an DME-based Helles with color that's appropriate to style

I just watched that video. He has really good content! As I kind of thought his was slightly darker too, and there was a difference between the All Grain and Extract.

I felt like my Extract beer was just a little too dark, esp when compared to the All Grain version. Neither recipe were mine, it was an interesting test though I feel like, and I do think he had some good points. You could almost not see the difference.

I am proud of both of the Beginner videos that I did, I think they will help someone with the info that I presented. I know one was a little longer then may of needed to be... But in the end I really do think that Extract is probably always going to be darker and offers over all less control over the brew then All Grain. But that does not make it a worse beer, if anything the practice is great!

1643023224408.png

This is a partial image at 8:16 of the video I mentioned. Note the clarity of the beer on the left (as his fingers are having an impact on the perceived color).

My point remains that "extract darker than expected" (get amber when gold is expected) is an avoidable problem.

View attachment 756797
This is a partial image at 8:16 of the video I mentioned. Note the clarity of the beer on the left (as his fingers are having an impact on the perceived color).

My point remains that "extract darker than expected" (get amber when gold is expected) is an avoidable problem.

The next time I brew extract I for sure am going to be coming up with my own recipe. I do think that he was on to something that LME helps produce a darker beer. The kit that I bought had both LME and DME and was the stores recipe.

I have noted though before that using just DME (Pale and Golden) has made it just a little darker then I meant too before as well. I think that this is due to the way that extract is made with more then one malt. Martin and the other guy noted that while they are similar that there is a detectable difference even when using the "correct" extract.

All and all between both of the ones that I brewed - Even though I know it was not all that scientific if was fun, and two great beers were made and enjoyed not by just me but everyone I shared them with.

I do think that he was on to something that LME helps produce a darker beer.
Stale LME is known to produce a darker beer. This article (link) from 2016 may be of interest.

while they are similar that there is a detectable difference even when using the "correct" extract.
Both beers had color appropriate to style and they found both beers to be enjoyable.

For a variety of reasons, it's unlikely that one can algorithmically convert an all-grain recipe to an extract+steep recipe and get the same result. Personally, I'll leave that effort to the kit makers (if they are interested).

Stale LME is known to produce a darker beer. This article (link) from 2016 may be of interest.

Both beers had color appropriate to style and they found both beers to be enjoyable.

For a variety of reasons, it's unlikely that one can algorithmically convert an all-grain recipe to an extract+steep recipe and get the same result. Personally, I'll leave that effort to the kit makers (if they are interested).

Thanks for the link Ill check it out. How far out of the color range do you think that the extract I brewed was?

I had not looked up the BJCP range on Cream Ale, but now I am curious. I was in the middle of brewing some other things during that time and just kind of wanted some knock down brew, and thought I wonder how far apart is the all grain to extract?

Would you be interested in running an experiment with me?

Cream Ale SRM: 2.5 - 6 (link to BJCP guideline)

SRM chart: the printed copy of How to Brew, 4e has an SRM chart. There are a number of them online as well. Reproducing color (in print or with a monitor/screen) is not always perfectly consistent - but it's probably close enough.

I have an app on my phone and I looked at a few other sources and I would say its just outside the SRM range as far as the BJCP would of been concerned. But I had no plans of competing with either of these.

I was going to ask would you be interested in maybe coming up with an Extract and an All Grain recipes with me? I brew them both and send you a few, then we can enter the thread about the beer just like this one here and talk about them? I think it would be a fun!

Back