Beet Reduction Kombucha

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

feruscultures

Reaction score
Long time lurker, finally posting. About a week ago I made two beet reductions (I used red beets and golden beets), using about two quarts of shredded beets and four quarts of water, reducing until I was only left with two quarts of liquid. The pH and OG of the resulting liquid was about 5.5-6 and 1.025, respectively. I pitched a SCOBY and about 1/8 cup of mature KT on a quart of both reductions. After about 5 days new SCOBYs are already starting to form.

Has any body every attempted a beet reduction kombucha before? I'm pretty excited about the red beet KT as it looks deep red-purple. Any suggestions flavor additions during secondary fermentation? Thanks!

Interesting experiment!!

I've done lacto-fermentation on red beet juice, but never thought of using it in kombucha. Please keep us posted on the outcome!

I think I would first try it plain. Maybe you then get inspiration on good flavor additions...

This sounds absolutely horrible. Do let us know how it turns out for you though.

Beets... friggin hippies, what's the world coming to :p

snarf: Was your lacto fermentation a beet kvass? I've tried beet kvass a few times and wasn't very happy/successful with the finished product.

kyt: I'll admit I'm not the biggest fan of beets myself, but I tried the reduction and it actually wasn't too bad. Sweet, but not overly, and a little earthy. Definitely didn't have a strong beet flavor. I'm definitely not a hippie, but was inspired by Micheal Crane's experiments with beets in beer and decided to give it a shot. I've been trying to come up with a clever name for the red beet KT if it turns out half way decent and it will probably end up being a play on Reign in Blood/Raining Blood.

If this does turn out to be delicious I'm not sure if I'll be up for making a more than a gallon at a time... trimming, cleaning, and grating all of those beets was time consuming!

snarf: Was your lacto fermentation a beet kvass? I've tried beet kvass a few times and wasn't very happy/successful with the finished product.

I just made beet juice from grated raw beet and let it ferment by itself. The result was a bit weird, but somewhat okay...

I'm definitely not a hippie, but was inspired by Micheal Crane's experiments with beets in beer and decided to give it a shot. I've been trying to come up with a clever name for the red beet KT if it turns out half way decent and it will probably end up being a play on Reign in Blood/Raining Blood.

Just jerking your hippie yeast chains ;)

I don't know about those names, I think you're on the right track though. Something of that nature would be pretty cool.
What about something like Viking Blood or Russian Blood, since it's kind of kvass-y?
IDK keep thinking about it, I bet you'll come up with something creative. I'm severely creative-deficient. :drunk:

Back