BeerSmith or Brewer's Friend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lbernard3

Reaction score
I have a recipe that I inputted into BS and also into BF. Keeping all of the data the same, the OG, IBUs, ABV all come out differently.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these programs to know which is correct or what am I doing wrong?

Thanks -
Lou

I wouldn't expect them to be exactly the same. I would say stick with the one you like and go with it. If your bouncing back and forth you'll make yourself nuts.

Beersmith is very powerful and basically the "standard" software most people reference to.
I personally use Brewers Friend because I find it simpler and thorough enough for what I like to do.

Use the one you like.

Great question. I also use Kai's Batch/Partygyle calculator and get different numbers than Beersmith. I think they all use differing algorithms.

I wouldn't expect them to be exactly the same. I would say stick with the one you like and go with it. If your bouncing back and forth you'll make yourself nuts.

Beersmith is very powerful and basically the "standard" software most people reference to.
I personally use Brewers Friend because I find it simpler and thorough enough for what I like to do.

Use the one you like.

So which is more accurate? -- there is a difference of 1.5% ABV. That seems significant.

So which is more accurate? -- there is a difference of 1.5% ABV. That seems significant.

I TOTALLY and COMPLETELY feel your pain as this drives me bonkers too. I would expect tools that are somewhat "scientific" to yield very similar results that only vary by the tiniest of degrees/decimal points, etc.

I tend to ignore both of those programs now. I just started keeping my own brew logs and deriving my own calculators in Excel. I keep constantly reading these forums to learn and ask questions as well googling and then trying to be as scientific with the process as possible.

I have a recipe that I inputted into BS and also into BF. Keeping all of the data the same, the OG, IBUs, ABV all come out differently.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these programs to know which is correct or what am I doing wrong?

Thanks -
Lou

You need to understand all the inputs and outputs, including behind the scenes stuff like losses, mash efficiency, brewhouse efficiency, etc. There could be differences in estimated IBU because I think there are multiple techniques for that. OG depends on mash/brewhouse efficiencies and potential of the grain. I would guess the efficiencies are different in the calcs you have done with both programs. ABV is based on attenuation of the yeast, which is estimated based on a typical range for specific yeast.

I use both.

Beersmith for recipe design. Brewers friend for mash pH, ABV calculations, hydrometer temp corrections.

Back