BeerSmith new version

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Tobor_8thMan

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score

Golddiggie

Reaction score
Where's the change log?? Ever since an update to version 2.0 (don't know what version) printing from within BeerSmith has sucked balls. I have to export the recipe as HTML and open it in a browser to get it to print decently. The first page is completely F'ked up (not full page and cropps text even though it shouldn't). Wondering if/when they'll ever fix that code F-up.

Printing failure from within the software is still present. Crops off about 1/4 of each page (right and bottom) when printing from within the app. ONLY way to get it to print all the info is to 'Save Repot' and open within a web browser. IMO, this is NOT a minor flaw but a pretty significant one in the UI.

Last edited:

day_trippr

Moderna Or Bust! :D
Reaction score
Right then! I think I'm going to wait for the bugfix release.
3.1.08 has been working acceptably well and I don't need application aggravation ;)

Cheers!

[edit] Does the 3.2 desktop version allow copying one's inventory list to the Cloud?

jtgoral

Reaction score
I upgraded to the newest version and then tested duplex printing in color on an inkjet and BW on a laser printer. Both printed perfectly

day_trippr

Reaction score
fwiw, after backing up my recipe database elsewhere I went ahead and installed the 3.2.7 kit (on Win10Pro) successfully and did a double-sided test print of my latest brew sheet with no issues.

Aside from pulling up a recipe to add a datapoint to the fermentation data that's the extent of my usage/"testing" so far...

[edit] Still can't push inventory list to the cloud account...

Cheers!

Last edited:

Golddiggie

Reaction score
BeerSmith is the ONLY app that has the issue printing from within the recipe list. I have to save the recipe as a HTML file, open in Chrome and then it prints without cropping. I'm on Win10 Pro printing to a Canon Color ImageCLASS MF743Cdw. Again, this is the ONLY app with this issue for printing.
I print over my network (printer is on my router, NOT going direct to the printer).

I've posted in the community boards about the issue, but never had any response asking for ANY information about my setup. Really, it shouldn't matter. Especially since the printer is not a dumb device, or connected via USB. If the app cannot handle printing over the network, that needs to be fixed. I've not had a printer tied directly to a computer in over a decade now. I've been using color laser printers (or even MFP's) for over 15 years. At one point, BS printed out fine to the one I had. But, that was around 2014/2015. Different (network attached, color laser) printer at that time.

day_trippr

Reaction score
I'd put my money on a driver issue.
I also print to a network-attached device (Brother duplexing inkjet/scanner w/ADF) and have no problems with any programs run by me or The Spousal Unit on her machine...and in particular, BeerSmith...

Cheers!

hout17

It's BREW 30!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'd put my money on a driver issue.
I also print to a network-attached device (Brother duplexing inkjet/scanner w/ADF) and have no problems with any programs run by me or The Spousal Unit on her machine...and in particular, BeerSmith...

Cheers!
Yeah, I've never had a problem printing. Always spot on.

OP
Tobor_8thMan

Tobor_8thMan

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
BeerSmith is the ONLY app that has the issue printing from within the recipe list. I have to save the recipe as a HTML file, open in Chrome and then it prints without cropping. I'm on Win10 Pro printing to a Canon Color ImageCLASS MF743Cdw. Again, this is the ONLY app with this issue for printing.
I print over my network (printer is on my router, NOT going direct to the printer).

I've posted in the community boards about the issue, but never had any response asking for ANY information about my setup. Really, it shouldn't matter. Especially since the printer is not a dumb device, or connected via USB. If the app cannot handle printing over the network, that needs to be fixed. I've not had a printer tied directly to a computer in over a decade now. I've been using color laser printers (or even MFP's) for over 15 years. At one point, BS printed out fine to the one I had. But, that was around 2014/2015. Different (network attached, color laser) printer at that time.
What is cut off? Recipe ingredients/ steps, etc or just the title? Possible to see a screenshot?

I will admit the print preview within BS doesn't match the print 100%. No, not a driver issue.

day_trippr

Reaction score
fwiw, I get rid of headers and footers, etc, then minimize the margins, then make sure the driver is set to "Fit".
What I see is what I get...

Cheers!

day_trippr

Reaction score
[shrug] Simply because your phraseology suggested it was a generic rant.
I don't see a problem with printing from BeerSmith. It is wysiwyg for me...

Cheers!

Reaction score

I print fine (Dell color laser over wired network).

Does the Print Preview look OK?

Try printing to a PDF (choose Microsoft Print to PDF) and see how that goes. If it's OK, then it is likely your printer driver and not BS.

I think BS creates a HTML version of the printable page, then uses some Windows resource (related to Internet Explorer?) to print that. At least, that is what it looks like based on some elements in the print preview screen.