BeerSmith new version

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tobor_8thMan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Where's the change log?? Ever since an update to version 2.0 (don't know what version) printing from within BeerSmith has sucked balls. I have to export the recipe as HTML and open it in a browser to get it to print decently. The first page is completely F'ked up (not full page and cropps text even though it shouldn't). Wondering if/when they'll ever fix that code F-up.

Printing failure from within the software is still present. Crops off about 1/4 of each page (right and bottom) when printing from within the app. ONLY way to get it to print all the info is to 'Save Repot' and open within a web browser. IMO, this is NOT a minor flaw but a pretty significant one in the UI.

Last edited:
Right then! I think I'm going to wait for the bugfix release.
3.1.08 has been working acceptably well and I don't need application aggravation ;)

Cheers!

[edit] Does the 3.2 desktop version allow copying one's inventory list to the Cloud?

I upgraded to the newest version and then tested duplex printing in color on an inkjet and BW on a laser printer. Both printed perfectly

fwiw, after backing up my recipe database elsewhere I went ahead and installed the 3.2.7 kit (on Win10Pro) successfully and did a double-sided test print of my latest brew sheet with no issues.

Aside from pulling up a recipe to add a datapoint to the fermentation data that's the extent of my usage/"testing" so far...

[edit] Still can't push inventory list to the cloud account...

Cheers!

Last edited:
BeerSmith is the ONLY app that has the issue printing from within the recipe list. I have to save the recipe as a HTML file, open in Chrome and then it prints without cropping. I'm on Win10 Pro printing to a Canon Color ImageCLASS MF743Cdw. Again, this is the ONLY app with this issue for printing.
I print over my network (printer is on my router, NOT going direct to the printer).

I've posted in the community boards about the issue, but never had any response asking for ANY information about my setup. Really, it shouldn't matter. Especially since the printer is not a dumb device, or connected via USB. If the app cannot handle printing over the network, that needs to be fixed. I've not had a printer tied directly to a computer in over a decade now. I've been using color laser printers (or even MFP's) for over 15 years. At one point, BS printed out fine to the one I had. But, that was around 2014/2015. Different (network attached, color laser) printer at that time.

I'd put my money on a driver issue.
I also print to a network-attached device (Brother duplexing inkjet/scanner w/ADF) and have no problems with any programs run by me or The Spousal Unit on her machine...and in particular, BeerSmith...

Cheers!
Yeah, I've never had a problem printing. Always spot on.

BeerSmith is the ONLY app that has the issue printing from within the recipe list. I have to save the recipe as a HTML file, open in Chrome and then it prints without cropping. I'm on Win10 Pro printing to a Canon Color ImageCLASS MF743Cdw. Again, this is the ONLY app with this issue for printing.
I print over my network (printer is on my router, NOT going direct to the printer).

I've posted in the community boards about the issue, but never had any response asking for ANY information about my setup. Really, it shouldn't matter. Especially since the printer is not a dumb device, or connected via USB. If the app cannot handle printing over the network, that needs to be fixed. I've not had a printer tied directly to a computer in over a decade now. I've been using color laser printers (or even MFP's) for over 15 years. At one point, BS printed out fine to the one I had. But, that was around 2014/2015. Different (network attached, color laser) printer at that time.

What is cut off? Recipe ingredients/ steps, etc or just the title? Possible to see a screenshot?

I will admit the print preview within BS doesn't match the print 100%. No, not a driver issue.

fwiw, I get rid of headers and footers, etc, then minimize the margins, then make sure the driver is set to "Fit".
What I see is what I get...

Cheers!

[shrug] Simply because your phraseology suggested it was a generic rant.
I don't see a problem with printing from BeerSmith. It is wysiwyg for me...

Cheers!

I print fine (Dell color laser over wired network).

Does the Print Preview look OK?

Try printing to a PDF (choose Microsoft Print to PDF) and see how that goes. If it's OK, then it is likely your printer driver and not BS.

I think BS creates a HTML version of the printable page, then uses some Windows resource (related to Internet Explorer?) to print that. At least, that is what it looks like based on some elements in the print preview screen.

I just ordered BeerSmith Mobile on my iPad. v 3.1.9

Has no equipment for Clawhammer's system (120v 10gal)

Clawhammer shows to download a .bsmx file to add to BeerSmith - desktop. Problem is - I can't updload it to the mobile app.

So - thoughts? Do I need to spring for the desktop version (I have ZERO interest in doing that - at all.)

Honestly - not super impressed with beersmith at all.

Also regarding printing issues above - the quick workaround is to go to Options->Reports and check the box "print to browser".

Where's the change log?? Ever since an update to version 2.0 (don't know what version) printing from within BeerSmith has sucked balls. I have to export the recipe as HTML and open it in a browser to get it to print decently. The first page is completely F'ked up (not full page and cropps text even though it shouldn't). Wondering if/when they'll ever fix that code F-up.

Printing failure from within the software is still present. Crops off about 1/4 of each page (right and bottom) when printing from within the app. ONLY way to get it to print all the info is to 'Save Repot' and open within a web browser. IMO, this is NOT a minor flaw but a pretty significant one in the UI.
I print right off of the cloud storage window while scrolling through my listed recipes. There’s a little printer icon on the preview when you select it and it goes right to my printer. I’m not sure what convoluted method you are referring to.

Clawhammer shows to download a .bsmx file to add to BeerSmith - desktop. Problem is - I can't updload it to the mobile app.

So - thoughts? Do I need to spring for the desktop version (I have ZERO interest in doing that - at all.)

I have BS mobile in my phone, I use it primarily to reference recipes while at the brew shop and checking ABV when drinking.

at least in the desktop version there is a way to add in your own equipment. I also would suggest selecting your equipment first thing when starting a new recipe, otherwise it does get all F’d up unless you use the “scale” feature.

Not trying to be a wisea*s, but probably best to post these types of questions in the beersmith.com forums.

Not trying to be a wisea*s, but probably best to post these types of questions in the beersmith.com forums.

Not to be a Richard but this IS the brewing software forum and it IS a thread about issues specific to new versions of BeerSmith. (Which is brewing software)

I’ve sent BeerSmith what was requested, the situation is being resolved and quickly - even tho this was posted here. Kudos to BeerSmith

Last edited:
Not to be a Richard but this IS the brewing software forum and it IS a thread about issues specific to new versions of BeerSmith. (Which is brewing software)

I’ve sent BeerSmith what was requested, the situation is being resolved and quickly - even tho this was posted here. Kudos to BeerSmith.
Oh the things Brad Smith does for us. I am eternally grateful!

Oh the things Brad Smith does for us. I am eternally grateful!

Yep. Had a desktop version years ago, at least 2 laptops ago. I’m struggling with the switch to iPad/tablet for sure. Glad for the quick help. Looking forward to using the new profile.

Last edited:
You'd think that the Beersmith forum would be the perfect place to ask for help regarding Beersmith. Duh, right?

But those with the google-fu know that breadth of experience is what you want. HBT is the largest, deepest and most active knowledge-base of brewing information this side of the milky way. If you had a problem with your iPhone, would you go search some apple forum, or just ask google and access the MUCH broader world of users?

The web based edition is now available as well.
Yeah, kinda. They rolled it out before it was functional IMO. After three days and 6 wasted hours I gave up on it. Too limited and some needed features were eliminated and extremely time consuming. I will stick to the desktop.

Yeah, kinda. They rolled it out before it was functional IMO. After three days and 6 wasted hours I gave up on it. Too limited and some needed features were eliminated and extremely time consuming. I will stick to the desktop.

I haven't even touched the web based version yet. I plan on waiting 6 months or so and hopefully any kinks will be worked out. It's like buying the next windows iteration on its release day lol.

I've been using it for 90% of my recipe design now for several weeks. I find it works very much like the desktop version with only small features missing. Like having to add some ingredients one at a time instead of having the option to to add another ingredient without closing the window. So far that is the only thing that has bugged me. I have been able to import my custom equipment and mash profiles... my added ingredients... miscellaneous steps... even my custom style guides.

I've been using it for 90% of my recipe design now for several weeks. I find it works very much like the desktop version with only small features missing. Like having to add some ingredients one at a time instead of having the option to to add another ingredient without closing the window. So far that is the only thing that has bugged me. I have been able to import my custom equipment and mash profiles... my added ingredients... miscellaneous steps... even my custom style guides.
Have you found a way to import recipes without using the desktop first? Because I haven't... It may be possible but if it is why so hard to find? How do you overcome the 125 recipe limits? I have over 600 recipes and/or versions of recipes. I also find the same recipe's OG, FG, IBUs, and SRM varies between the two.

Back