BeerSmith File Example

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

illin8

Reaction score
Can anyone post a beersmith file showing an example of how to set-up the mash steps for a normal mash-in with a split batch sparge? Does the sparge go in as an infusion? I keep getting an error either saying that I need more water or need to add 373 degree water.

I just don't get it.

So, I am gonna need some numbers to be able to help you. What ratio and how much grain are we talking for the strike/dough in? How much sparge water do you want? What do you need in your kettle pre-boil?

Yeah, I am having a hard time rigging it for my newest setup too. I have really well insulated tuns, but they are stainless and I don't know what to put for the specific heat. Beersmith is awesome, but another flaw is boil off percentage. This should be a number you know your kettle does, because all of us boil differently. I am planning on introducing steam into the boil while the burner is going also, so I will be adding +/- what I am evaporating out. It is gonna get tricky, but I have faith in Brad's upgrades for his brilliant program.

Oh, I was gonna let you know that I would be on the chat around 5:30ish CDT if you want to chat. I can help you out though, looks like you don't have all three boxes checked for batch sparing in the mash profile window, and you haven't set the percentage of mash tun volume to a low enough percentage to get equal sparges. If you check your preview brewing sheet you can see the additions. I set my batch sparges on 50% so I get two equal sparges after I have initially dumped the mash tun the first time. Play with it on the recipe screen and keep checking on the brew sheet if that helps. If not I will be there to chat at that time.

I have meetings tonight so can't make the chat but I think you are correct. I don't remember changing the default setting 'set mashtun to 90%' of volume or whatever it is...I wasn't sure what that was or how it would effect it...I'm using a 70qt coleman xtreme BTW.

Thanks for the help I'll try it out later tonight...I don't really understand that screen anyway.

Try that, bet it works. Just keep previewing the brew sheet to see your changes. That is another thing I wish you could see in the window you are manipulating. I set mine to 50% and it broke my 5.+gallon into two equal sized batch sparges.

Got it to work, you were right about the 3 settings...I had to set the mashout amount to 25%. Only thing is on another similar recipe I had to set it to 30% as 25% gave me three 1.5 gallon sparges...seems like the software is a bit qwirky as all other factors are the same...

Thanks for the help!

Back