BeerSmith Equipment Profile Question with BIAB Setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pshankstar

BIAB Homebrewer & Coffee Roaster
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I purchased the BeerSmith application for my MacBook. I have really enjoyed using the trial and tinkering around with it. I setup my equipment profile but I'm a little confused on what I should do.

My setup:
Keggle with a ball valve mounted near the bottom. If I do not tip it there is about 1 gallon of wort that is left behind. I will be doing BIAB. I usually whirlpool the hops at the end to get them to sink in the brew pot.

My question:
Do I include this 1 gallon of wort that will not make it into the fermenter under the "Lauter Tun Deadspace" or do I put it under the "Loss to Trub and Chiller"? You can see these options in the screen shot on the right top side and middle. Right now I have them both at 1 gallon.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Thank you all in advance!

BS_Profile_Setup.png

It should go in the Loss to Trub and Chiller field. Since it's BIAB, there is no Lauter Tun Deadspace, due to the mash/lauter tun being the boil kettle. You would only report a loss in that field if you lost wort between the transfer from M/L tun to the kettle.

It should go in the Loss to Trub and Chiller field. Since it's BIAB, there is no Lauter Tun Deadspace, due to the mash/lauter tun being the boil kettle. You would only report a loss in that field if you lost wort between the transfer from M/L tun to the kettle.

Thanks!! That's what I was thinking but then I second guessed myself.

If your brewhouse efficiency represents your mash efficiency without loss to trub, you'll need to lower it to accommodate for the loss. BeerSmith will raise your mash efficiency as you add trub loss to account for the additional sugar needed to maintain gravity.

Brewhouse Efficiency is the percentage of sugar that gets to the fermenter. With a gallon loss, about 85% of your sugar in the kettle gets to the fermenter. Just multiply your expected efficiency by the estimated yield to get your brewhouse efficiency.

If your brewhouse efficiency represents your mash efficiency without loss to trub, you'll need to lower it to accommodate for the loss. BeerSmith will raise your mash efficiency as you add trub loss to account for the additional sugar needed to maintain gravity.

Brewhouse Efficiency is the percentage of sugar that gets to the fermenter. With a gallon loss, about 85% of your sugar in the kettle gets to the fermenter. Just multiply your expected efficiency by the estimated yield to get your brewhouse efficiency.

Thank you brewfun for this info! Right now I haven't adjusted anything regarding efficiency (left the defaults) since I have not done my first BIAB yet. When I do my first BIAB, I will have to do all the calculations or readings (haven't read into that too much yet) to figure out my efficiency to better dial in my equipment profile.

If anyone has a link to a good read about calculating your efficiency, please post it here or PM me with it. Thanks! :)

Latest posts

Back