BeerSmith, aging timeline, 30 days to age?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColeR

Reaction score
Ok,

Just going off what beersmith says on the timeline to keg/bottle your beer. I keg for reference.

It says for single stage fermentation, 14 days in the primary, then 30 to age it at 65deg.

It says for two stage fermentation, 4 days in the primary, then 10 days in the secondary, then 30 days to age at 65deg.

Ok I get the combined 14 days in the fermenters.

But this 30 days to age at 65deg? I know you need that for bottling? Why do it for kegging?

I understand some beers need to be aged, stouts, porters, nut browns some ambers.

but say a fresh hop IPA, 2 weeks fermenting then 1 week in the fridge under Co2. Drink right? Or am I missing something?

CR-

Yes and no. You're right. Ferment for 2 weeks, carb/condition for a week. Drink. Some beers that works just fine. Other ones, you may have that "green beer" taste. If you're in a hurry and its an easy grain profile, hoppy beer, you probably won't notice. But you may find after another week (4 weeks now) that it really smooths out some.

2 week ferm, 1 week keg/carb, serve, you'll be fine. Beer Smith suggests 30 days for conditioning because most likely, it would be better at 30 days than at 20. But ultimately your call. Either will be drinkable :mug:
Cheers.

Latest posts

Back