Beersmith 3 Mash/Sparge Water adjustments

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmall002

Reaction score
Very new to this and appreciate any help. I have spent a fair amount of time searching and haven't found the answer I was looking for. Maybe its just a really dumb question but here goes.

In beersmith 3 I have matched a target profile from my municipal water. It gives me mash and sparge additions. It indicates that the full volume of water be in the HLT. My question is, do I add the salts for the mash to the full volume of water needed for mash and sparge - then ADD the sparge salts to the remaining (already adjusted) HLT water after I have transferred what I need for the mash?

Or are they treated totally separately - treat mash water with additions from base - Then treat sparge water with additions from base?

Simply put, are the sparge salts added on top of the already added mash additions or separate?

It is confusing since the brew steps include the full volume of water.

Thanks,

Kam-

FWIW I dont use Beersmith , I use Brun water . I seperate my mash and sparge water and treat as directed. The amounts of salts and acids are different in the mash and sparge on Bru N Water . So that program just tells you the total amount of salts and acid for the total amount of water ?

Regardless of what the program indicates, how do you normally add your water? If you charge your HLT with all the water you need at the start of brewing, then you can treat that water with all the salts (mash + sparge) at the beginning. If you charge your HLT with just the mash water and then add the amount of water needed for the sparge when the mash tun is charged, then treat them independently.

Regardless of what the program indicates, how do you normally add your water? If you charge your HLT with all the water you need at the start of brewing, then you can treat that water with all the salts (mash + sparge) at the beginning. If you charge your HLT with just the mash water and then add the amount of water needed for the sparge when the mash tun is charged, then treat them independently.

Generally, I have been doing the former. This makes perfect sense. I was worried that I was missing something and that somehow the profile of the sparge water might have differences from mash water.

Jag75 - I have played around with the Bru N Water and might give that a go next time. To answer your question, it does break them up - and they are the same additions, just altered quantities.

Cheers - and thank you both.

Latest posts

Back