Beers You Want to Like... But Don't

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can handle some highly hopped beers but sadly, overall I don't tend to be fond of American IPAs & I can't seem to fully appreciate beers that need to be sipped rather than drank, like winey triples or barley wines. Also, not impressed with the whole weird ingredient thing. Don't want my beer to taste like effing potpourri, pumpkin or jalapeño eg; if the beer can not transcend from a flight tasting to a full pint then, no thanks. Do love nearly everything else though.:cross:

There's lots of great beer here but it isn't usually inexpensive. Life would be much easier if I could stand light lagers. I'm not a fan of hefes either and pale ales are seeming pretty pedestrian these days.

Just dumped a double IPA sent to me from a southern state, tasted like sweet PineSol to me. Sending IPA's/DIPA's to the Northwest is like sending coal to Newcastle.

Chile beers, or at least the ones brewed for heat and not just a bit of pepper flavor. I can eat spicy food all day, but add that to a beer and for some reason my stomach just says "no bueno". I pick up a weird oily mouthfeel in a lot of them as well.

Sours. I've had a few that were ok, but I haven't enjoyed many enough to pay the amount they usually cost.

I still don't get the whole wheat beer thing, I believe it's a fad that should have gone away by now. I HATE the flavor of clove. Period. So, banana and clove, and coriander, and orange, and lemon, and tears of a horse, and, well you get it. NO!. I realize wheat beers have been made for centuries in Europe, and that is okay, and I really don't hate wheat beers, per se, but the Blue Moon clone concept is just old.oh, that and Lunguppy 1200, or whatever it's called.

You had dry sockets with your wisdom teeth removal, didn't you?

My sister had them bad, and if she so much as smells cloves, her teeth start hurting. :drunk:

Fat tire. I feel like a failure of a craft beer drinker because I don't like it but I can't bring myself to finish one.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

High IBU IPAs and APAs are just wasted on me. I wish I liked them more because my wife loves IPAs and when we get a flight of beers it is mostly the ones she likes. I also cannot stand fruit beers with strawberries, rasberries and such. Just too sweet for my taste.

Sours and most fruit beers.

I admit I've had a couple of fruit beers I liked, like Jamesport's Apricot wheat, and a few others. Oddly, although I HATE coconut, Cranker's Coconut Porter is really good.

I even like, or don't mind, some of the barnyard belgians and whatnot. Add some sour to it and forget it. I've never understood how people can enjoy fruit and fruit flavored or sour candy.

I don't understand the fuss over Deschutes--they are well-made beers, but I've had better. The Mirror Pond may be growing on me, just for the fact that a 5% beer is nice once in a while, and if you let it warm up to cellar temp, it's not bad. I'll take an Edmund Fitzgerald Porter over Black Butte any day.

I don't understand the fuss over Deschutes--they are well-made beers, but I've had better. The Mirror Pond may be growing on me, just for the fact that a 5% beer is nice once in a while, and if you let it warm up to cellar temp, it's not bad. I'll take an Edmund Fitzgerald Porter over Black Butte any day.

I believe the fuss is due to the fact that they're ubiquitous, reasonably priced and of good quality overall. It's like BMC for people that enjoy drinking real beer.

I love IPA's but have come to learn that I just do not like Citra hops, eliminating pretty much every beer that features them from my liking.

I love IPA's but have come to learn that I just do not like Citra hops, eliminating pretty much every beer that features them from my liking.

You ain't alone... Tastes like basil to me.

Personally I do not get smoked beers or chili beers.

Kinda going OT, but to those who want to like a hefe but hate banana/clove try Scheider Weiss: Citrus and apricot. Then try Aventinus...

To those who want to dig belgians, make sure you you let them warm up first. Served too cold, and all the magic, phenols, and esters, ain't there. Forget the commonly found Chimay and source a St. Bernardus 12.

If you like the flavor descriptors for saisons, get your hands on some 3726 (blaugies) and brew a simple saison. This phenomenal yeast makes a killer saison. I have not found a commercial saison I like but I love my own saisons and they taste like you'd expect.

To those not into IPA's. Be sure to try at least one local fresh IPA on draft, preferable keg hopped. Bottles are totally abysmal examples. A good fresh IPA has an uplifting effect, almost therapeutic, like a high.

Lastly, to those not into sours. Try Jolly Pumpkin Bam Biere. A nice dry and light and refreshing beer with just a touch of funk. It converted me to sours instantly.

Most of the Dogfish Head beers I've had. My club did a DFH a few years back. Out of the 16 beers, I liked 3. It's not that the rest were bad at all, just meh. It sucks to say that, since I really like the company and the philosophy. I just wish I liked the beers as much.

I almost bought Bitches Brew (one of the 3 I liked) last time it came out, but La Roja was sitting next to it on the shelf for 2 bucks more... decisions were made.

For me, it's New Glarus' Spotted Cow. All of my friends just gush over the stuff. Whenever we take our yearly trip to the Dells, everyone wants me to bring them at least a 6 pack back. There are just so many other beers I'd rather drink instead.

Some of the barrel-aged beers that are 98-100 on Ratebeer/Beer Advocate that taste like straight, boozy bourbon.

I can get with a nice RIS or sour with a subtle bourbon/whiskey flavor, but if you are going to make a "beer" that is dominated by the bourbon/whiskey taste at the expense of the actual beer, why not just admit that it's not much of a beer anymore?

Some of the barrel-aged beers that are 98-100 on Ratebeer/Beer Advocate that taste like straight, boozy bourbon.

I can get with a nice RIS or sour with a subtle bourbon/whiskey flavor, but if you are going to make a "beer" that is dominated by the bourbon/whiskey taste at the expense of the actual beer, why not just admit that it's not much of a beer anymore?

Am I the only one that doesn't get the level of hype for barrel aged stuff? I recently had Stone's cali-belgique aged in red wine barrels. The original is awesome, but the barrel aged tasted ruined. One of those rare beers I just couldn't finish

I hear ya. I've tried a few, and have always been disappointed/underwhelmed (especially considering the price of most of them).

Most recently I tried North Coast's Barrel-Aged version of Old Rasputin. I know it's not the best RIS out there, but I've always loved OR because it was one of those gateway beers that got me into craft beer in the first place.

Needless to say, I was really excited to try the barrel aged version of OR, which got really high reviews on the interwebs in previous years. I dropped $25 on a bomber, and was just completely underwhelmed. It tasted like OR, but just a little bit worse. Very boozy tasting. I would have rather just bought a couple 4 packs of regular OR.

I wish I liked more stouts. Usually, there's just way too much coffee, chocolate or smoke for me to enjoy it. I had a coffee stout once that literally just tasted like cold coffee to me. Ugh.

I'm not overly fond of sweet things in general, but sweet beer crosses a big line. Most fruit beer falls into this category, but add to it beer with adjuncts like molasses. Someone out there thinks overly sweet is complex and delicious - I send it back to the bar.

I'm not overly fond of sweet things in general, but sweet beer crosses a big line. Most fruit beer falls into this category, but add to it beer with adjuncts like molasses. Someone out there thinks overly sweet is complex and delicious - I send it back to the bar.

You just reminded me of one: DFH Raison D'Etre. Waaayyyy too sweet for me...anyone else get that or is it just me? I've sworn that one off from now on.

IPAs and hoppy beers in general. I'm generally not a fan of anything over 40-45 IBUs, except for the occasional RIS. I wish I was though, because the market is definitely skewed toward folks who like hoppier beers.

Beer that I WANT to like but don't...anything New Belgium or any Belgian beers. There is just a signature flavor in most New Belgium beers that I don't care for.

Beers that I don't like at all...Fruit beers and sours. Maybe it is my ignorance/misunderstanding but who in their right mind wants to drink an infection? The only beer that truly disgusted me was a vegetable beer from 10 Barrel called 'Swill.' I like 1 Barrel, but this was the worst beer I have had to date...BMC included.

In a word... Lagunitas. Although I have only had 4 or 5 different lagunitas beers I cant get over the mega bitter bomb. I feel like im getting slapped in the face with a bag of colombus every time I drink one. Everybody in the entire world loves the stuff so I feel like I should. I still throw one in the make your own 6-pack every time I see one I haven't tried but never really like them.

sour beers and IPAs or Pales over 60 IBU. Just can't do it. I hate grapefruit too, so I'm just biased towards extreme bitterness. And I live in Seattle, so I'm scorned for my IPA disgust.

I feel like I should like Orval. I think it sucks. I like wits, kinda ambivalent about hefe.

Gimmick beers don't really count for me - either it's a brewer screwing around or just a marketing ploy to sell some singles.

I buy mostly IPA/IIPA's - but I make mostly over-hopped brown ales.

If you don't like Brett, you won't like Orval. It's not something I'd want every day, but having one fresh with an omelette at the restaurant near the monastery was awesome. It's refreshing & dry. Hoppy, but not too.

I don't like barrel-aged beers myself, either. I don't think it's an improvement, in general. Just an excuse to charge more.

Not a fan of pumpkin ales. They seem to be all the rage around here, but the flavor just doesn't work for me.

Totally agree. There's a brewery around here that releases one every fall and people rave about it for months. I feel like I'm crazy, but I think it is awful. I've tried 3-4 other versions and always want to spit it out. Whatevs...

The only beer that truly disgusted me was a vegetable beer from 10 Barrel called 'Swill.' I like 1 Barrel, but this was the worst beer I have had to date...BMC included.

You're not even close! It's a grapefruit Berliner Weisse with added soda. I'm not a fan of it, either, but where did you get vegetable from?!?

Back