Beers You Want to Like... But Don't

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trev12110

Reaction score
Hey everyone I wanted to know if you guys have either a type of beer or a particular beer that you really really want to like but you just don't. For me it's Saisons. I really want to like them but I have yet to drink one that I actually like. Everytime I read a recipe for one it sounds uber fantastic then I go grab one from a brew pub and struggle through it. I can't be the only one that has this going one. I would love to hear your examples if you have any

Well,from the descriptions on here of saisons with their barnyard attributes,I was sure I'd go "yuk"! But having got a 6'r of Heavy Seas Red Sky At Night,I found one I like. Kinda spicy on the back,which seems to at least cover that bit of barnyardiness. For me still,though,it's sour belgians. That which sours it makes my guts hurt later,even though I may find the taste fairly agreeable...:drunk:

For me it's IPA's. I love the smell and flavor of hops, but i can't bring myself to enjoy anything over 40-45 IBU's unless it has a decent maltiness to offset the bitterness, like a RIS. To each their own.:eek:

I dislike sours with too much acetic acid. Vinegar in beer just aint my thing.

Any beer with hot peppers just makes me gag. I can't do it. My brain wont let me.

Beers that are too boozy. If it has a real noticeable booze heat to it i'm not a fan. There's a alcohol palate threshold for me where when i get to it i get a little disgusted by the consistency (and often accompanying flavors) of strong beer. At that point id rather drink whiskey, bourbon etc.

Most fruit lambics. Too sweet and bubbly.

Well,from the descriptions on here of saisons with their barnyard attributes,I was sure I'd go "yuk"! But having got a 6'r of Heavy Seas Red Sky At Night,I found one I like. Kinda spicy on the back,which seems to at least cover that bit of barnyardiness.

It's the spicyness that I am not a fan of. It tastes like someone raided a kitchen pantry and just threw random spices into the beer. But dammit I am trying really hard to like them:drunk:

The spiciness on the Heavy Seas version is a bit subdued. I'm starting to think maybe they used a yeast like Wyeast's 3711 French saison yeast which has an ester profile like that. Here's a shot of it;

I used to be that way about Saisons until I found a recipe I liked and brewed my own :D. I do understand not liking them though.

I enjoy a nice IPA but I really have a hard time with IPAs that are overly bitter for the sake of being bitter. I want to drink nicely balanced beers, not liquid hops.

I'm finding myself not enjoying many Belgian beers as of lately. They are great in their own right but only in small quantities. Not something I can drink a whole bomber to the face of.

Sent from Cheese Doodle Land.

Imperial Pilsner is mine. There's a lot of room for interpretation on how malty and how bitter it should be. It often seems like the "pilsner" requirement is more of an ingredient choice than a flavor or character, and it just never seems like an imperial version of a pilsner. Often times the beer doesn't even taste clean like a pilsner. I feel like the standards of a pilsner should not be sacrificed while elevating the rest of the beer to the level of what is considered imperial. I have had examples that have too little flavor, and other that have too much flavor, but none of them were outstanding to me.

Sours, lambics, or anything with funk. I do enjoy very mild sours, but anything more than very mild and I just can't enjoy it. I don't have a taste for anything sour. Same thing with Lambics. A little tart is ok, but my threshold for the flavor is minimal. And anything funked with Brett..... ugh.... I don't understand how anyone can enjoy that flavor. If you ever want to know what people mean when they say "horse blanket", have something that's aged with brett. F-ing terrible!

I wish I did like them though. They seem to be all the rage everywhere I go and with anyone I talk to who's into craft beer or home brewing.

Sours, lambics, or anything with funk. I do enjoy very mild sours, but anything more than very mild and I just can't enjoy it. I don't have a taste for anything sour. Same thing with Lambics. A little tart is ok, but my threshold for the flavor is minimal. And anything funked with Brett..... ugh.... I don't understand how anyone can enjoy that flavor. If you ever want to know what people mean when they say "horse blanket", have something that's aged with brett. F-ing terrible!

I wish I did like them though. They seem to be all the rage everywhere I go and with anyone I talk to who's into craft beer or home brewing.

I can only recommend that you taste sours as much as possible, even in small sips (remember grandma saying that one needs to try a new type of food ten times before one can decide whether one likes it or not). It'll come, eventually.

Probably true! Its just the framboise stuff really put me off years ago. Any recommendations for a super dry tasty lambic?

Well, basically anything from the following brewers is awesome: Boon, Cantillon, 3 Fonteinen, Girardin, Oud Beersel, De Cam, Tilquin, Timmermans.

Plus anything that you find in the ratebeer top 50-100 lambic styles, for me with the exception of faro, which is sweetened gueuze.

The problem of course is where you can find any of those in the US.

Avoid sweet krieks from Lindemans, Mort Subite, St-Louis, Kriek Max,...

IPAs grew on me over time. (Now my favorite!) But I still hate sours.

Not sure how many people will get this analogy (since it's based on electronic music) but here it goes...

Trance, Drum and Bass and Dubstep were all genres I had no appreciation of when they got big. I wonder if beer styles are similar.

I can only recommend that you taste sours as much as possible, even in small sips (remember grandma saying that one needs to try a new type of food ten times before one can decide whether one likes it or not). It'll come, eventually.

I do and have been for the past 3 years. That's how I know I like a very mildly soured beer, but it has to be very minimal. But the funky stuff with Brett.... no thank you. I'm not sure it's possible to develop a taste for that. Kinda like pickles. You either love them or hate them. I'm the latter.

Hate sours and ipas with the passion of a thousand suns. Especially when I order something at a bar and they don't list it properly. Like barrel aged sour stout just said barrel aged stout, or blacl ipas listed as dark ale or stout.

double IPA....
I love hops and everyone seems to love the double IPAs....but I just cant seem to get into them. Maybe there's just too much bitter for me.

milk stouts - I love stouts and RIS, but these are just too cloyingly sweet for me.
IPAs/IIPAs - I like to have one every now and then, but they tend to overload my palate, and there are too many out there that just taste like hop-tea
pale ales - I like a good balanced example, but for every one I've found that I like, it seems like I've had a dozen that were either boringly plain or tasted like baby-IPA citrus bombs.
jalapeno/pepper beers - I love peppers/painfully spicy food, but not in my beer. yuck.

That said, I'll drink any beer that's free.

Belgians, Saisons as much as I try to convince myself to like them I just cannot.

Same here. I don't like Belgian style beers. That spicy yeast profile just doesn't do it for me. I want to like them and I try... It just won't happen. :(

It's a shame too because that is a whole other set of beers that would be fun to brew.

I like the Belgians,Kolsch, saisons, some PAs and hefes. I try but just can't seem to wrap my taste buds around reds, Irish/Scottish ales, Imperial/Russian/Oatmeal stouts, sours and IPAs. I always thought that it taste would come eventually but not yet.

I never used to like IPA's but I've come around on them.

I can't do the fruity beers. I just don't get it.

Also, the weird beers for the sake of being weird. The peanut butter - mushroom stouts. Or smoked cheddar jalapeno ambers. Or the roasted lamb hoof hefe's.

Anything by......Sierra Nevada. I just can't like them. I foolishly keep buying their special releases, thinking I'm going to love them, and I just can't get over whatever the signature "SN" taste is. I have utmost respect for their craft and what they have done for craft brew, but I seriously can't enjoy their beers.

Belgians. I keep trying them every few months and can't seem to find any I like that aren't sours.

Sierra Nevada. Not sure why, just can't seem to really enjoy them.

I'm another dude who struggles with Belgian beers. I realize this is an extremely broad category but, in general, I just can't seem to acquire a taste for these beers - with the exception with a couple of saisons. I have a close friend who is from Belgium (lives here now), so I regularly taste a lot of Belgian beer (those that are available here and those that his folks bring when they visit) and I still haven't developed a taste for them.

I will say however that I have no intention to stop trying them. Sooner or later, I'll figure it out.

My grandma wasn't that subtle. She was more likely to say, "don't you even think about getting up from the table before you've emptied that plate, you ungrateful little heathen...." :p

I struggle with a lot of American style IPAs, being a Brit I find them too hoppy, I like hoppy English beers but I find them too much. Having only been here a couple of years I'm still hoping to get used to them. I've also never been a huge fan of Belgian beers.

Please somebody take me back to Bamburg!

I'm not a fan of the majority of wheat beers. I like Lagunitas' Little Sumpin Sumpin and most Berliner Weisse I've tried and that's pretty much it.

I prefer balanced beers. Too bitter, too sweet, too sour, etc are not for me.

I often adjust the hop scheduled in recipes via Beersmith to ensure they are balanced per a gravity/hop ratio chart which sometime takes them to the borderline or even outsidetheir style.

I tend to like Wit, Weizen, Browns, Kölsch, Alt (adjusted for balance), etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Pepper beers because of the heartburn, most spiced beers because most are too heavy handed. If I can tell you what you've used, you've used too much.
I really want to like wilds, but there is just too much funk usually. It tastes like over-ripe fruit.

I give all styles a decent shot (20+ types and hopefully a well regarded example) before I give up on them. Really can't say there is a style I don't like.

Particular beer? SN Hemisphere fresh hop series. Had this years 2014 Southern Hemisphere and it reminds me how each year I get excited and yet they are so...not...good. Virtually no hop aroma, mild (at best) hop taste and all malt. Don't get me wrong, its not a "terrible" beer but dont market a fresh hop beer that virtually gives up nothing but a one dimensional malty beer.

I look through my untappd ratings of these and its been year and year for me.

American Amber ales.
It's weird because that was my first extract kit way back when.
I can drink them, but never really had one that blew me away. Now, I just don't brew them or buy them.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Belgian tripel. Sounds awesome but, Last one I tried I dumped 3/4 down the drain. It was like sipping a horrible hard liqour, Couldn't do it. I got a bomber out of the deal though.. An expensive bomber:(

Back