Beers You Want to Like... But Don't

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
La Fin du Monde- Had tripels I've liked. That wasn't it. Just... like a bitter weizenbock or something.. Was really hoping to enjoy it at 2$ p/11oz.... OH well.

Porters, and Stouts. Yuck. Who wants to drink burned beer? Give me a hoppy pilsner or three, then a couple tongue twisting IPAs. Yum.

Belgian tripel. Sounds awesome but, Last one I tried I dumped 3/4 down the drain. It was like sipping a horrible hard liqour, Couldn't do it. I got a bomber out of the deal though.. An expensive bomber:(

Not my favorite style either, although I am Belgian. But there are good, average and bad tripels. You should try a Tripel Karmeliet. By far the best one around.

I wish I liked Hefeweizens. I have tried many, but just can't like any of them.

New Belgium Ranger. It sounded so go on paper. I love IPAs, but this one didn't do it for me.

+1 on fruity or sour beer. Nothing but hop additions please.

For me it's IPA's. I love the smell and flavor of hops, but i can't bring myself to enjoy anything over 40-45 IBU's unless it has a decent maltiness to offset the bitterness, like a RIS. To each their own.:eek:
I couldn't agree with you more. "Most" of the IPA's I have tried are so damned bitter, with the exception of Sierra Nevada's "RUTHLESS RYE" IPA. That is a very good product IMO.
50 to 55 IBU is about the max for me. Anything above that is getting too bitter for my palate.
I guess that's why I brew a lot of pale ales and IPA's. I hop burst so I get the flavors without the extreme bitterness.

Porters, and Stouts. Yuck. Who wants to drink burned beer? Give me a hoppy pilsner or three, then a couple tongue twisting IPAs. Yum.

I used to be the same way. Of course, the only stout available in my area is "Guiness", which I still says sucks.
Then I made a modified version of Yoopers Oatmeal stout....freaking awesome! Not burnt or bitter....super creamy with just a tease of the flavors I "thought" I hated.
Homebrew really IS better!:ban:

I have found at least one beer I like from every style I've tried. sours, fruit beers, stouts to kolsch and everything in between. The one flavor that gets me everytime is a strong coffee flavor. I like some coffee but if it's more than subtle, I'm not a fan.

Hefes.
For some reason the levels of banana or clove seem to really turn me off, as opposed to the levels of those same flavors present in some Belgians, which I do enjoy.

IPA is always a waste of my money and time. On the rare occasions I find one with great hop character and reasonable IBUs, I can enjoy one pint but no more.

Same here. I don't like Belgian style beers. That spicy yeast profile just doesn't do it for me. I want to like them and I try... It just won't happen. :(

It's a shame too because that is a whole other set of beers that would be fun to brew.

I'm nit big on Belgians either, for the same reason. I try them from time to time just to reaffirm, and it still won't change.

Scotch ales. I just cannot get into them. Belhavens wee heavy was a complete no-go for me.
And pilsners. I can drink then without a struggle but I just can't say I enjoy them

Sierra Nevada torpedo IPA. I love IPAs. I love dank, fruity, citrusy, piney, etc. But there's something in torpedo that I just do not like. It may be one of the hops that is used or a byproduct of their combination but I just don't enjoy it. I've tried multiple times so I know it isn't a single batch issue.

Budweiser, Coors, Miller. It would save me some money if I actually liked them.

In all seriousness I can't say there is. Maybe New Castle. A lot of people like it, but I think it is disgusting. The only reason I say maybe is so I could drink it with others.

OP: "Beers You Want to Like... But Don't"

My tastes run to the darker and hoppier types, but I don't actively dislike any beer I can think of. If I were in the position of the OP, I would be more likely to ask myself "Why do I feel this way?" rather than "Why don't I like this beer?"

Ain't no 'countin for tastes....

OP: "Beers You Want to Like... But Don't"

My tastes run to the darker and hoppier types, but I don't actively dislike any beer I can think of. If I were in the position of the OP, I would be more likely to ask myself "Why do I feel this way?" rather than "Why don't I like this beer?"

Ain't no 'countin for tastes....

It was just a thought I had as I was looking through the forums here. Every time I see someone describe what a Saison tastes like, I think "Damn that sounds really good, I like all of those things" Then I try one and I just don't like it.:confused: Now that summer is coming up i find myself wanting to drink hefeweizen cause it gets hot here in southern california, but I can't say I enjoy any hefeweizens. Thats what I mean. I want to like them but when I drink them I just don't

Avoid sweet krieks from Lindemans, Mort Subite, St-Louis, Kriek Max,...

It's not just the Kriek from Mort Subite that is bad. I tried to stomach a Gueze that they managed to screw up last night. I ended up dumping it. I tried it once before a while back and the sweetness made me assume it was a bad batch. But, trying that second bottle last night confirms that it is intentionally sweet.

Okay, confession time here. I stated earlier on this thread that I wasn't fond of sours.... The one time that I tried a sour it tasted like sauerkraut juice. Horrible! Well I found I new brewpub that had a sour on tap, tried a taster and it was really good, very subtle. It was my "green eggs and ham" moment.:D

Lagers.
To me they all taste like some version of Budweiser.
(Sam Adams Boston Lager gets a pass)

Fruit Beer.
They all taste like beer with a drop of perfume in them.

Experimental beers.
"this beer is made with fermented shark skin, with just a hint of rosemary and mint."

Just because you can, does not mean you should.

Experimental beers.
"this beer is made with fermented shark skin, with just a hint of rosemary and mint."

Just because you can, does not mean you should.

^^How true. Knowledge is understanding a tomato is a fruit, but wisdom is the fortitude of not putting it in a fruit salad. Just because you can add something new and strange doesn't mean you should. However, sometimes unique creativity leads to something awesome. I tried a homebrewed chocolate chili stout and was totally impressed. The key is balance.

I want to like sours. I really do, but the ones I try always have a vomit flavor to them. Its totally unappealing for my tastes. "would you like a pint of vomit?" No thanks. Granted, I've only tried a few.

I usually pass of saisons and farmhouse ale too. I'll try new ones, but I'm not going out of my way to seek out either of these at a bottle shop.

Not a fan of wheat beers, though I wouldn't say I don't like it. I always seem to make one for summer since they're better suited it seems for crazy hot weather.

How I feel after drinking an "experimental" beer I don't like (which admittedly is most of them):

DrIanMalcom.jpg

Substitute "scientists" with "brewers".

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I want to like Scottish Wee Heavy so badly...but it's juat not in the cards. I want to love massive malt flavor, but my tongue just wants me to drink hops and shut the hell up.

everything ive tried from fat tire witch by all means isnt close to all they make. the same with dogfish head ipa's don't care for those at all. all the sours ive tried were ok some wasnt at all sour but ive found if you make them and allow them to lay around forever you'll never know how good they can be.

wee heavy not sure I want to like them other than to say I'm drinking a weeeee heaveh in a ridiculous accent when someone asks.

I love a good sour, but I finally tried the Duchesse and I don't even want to like that swill. Sickly sweet, buttery...I was disgusted.

No wonder so many people have trouble finding a sour they like.
Butter, syrup, and vinegar is not yummy.

I think I could enjoy a Wee Heavy more often if I lived in the overcast Scottish Highlands. Under the scorching sun of Oklahoma...is no bueno.

For me it's IPA's. I love the smell and flavor of hops, but i can't bring myself to enjoy anything over 40-45 IBU's unless it has a decent maltiness to offset the bitterness, like a RIS. To each their own.:eek:

I'm with you in spirit. What I mean is if a particular ale, IPA, etc., was over 40 IBU., nope. I'm with you, I enjoy the complexity and aroma, but a mouth full of pucker just ain't happening. I never brewed a beer with IBU's north of 35 for a long time, and with my wife being a hoppy beer fan, well, hops were in my future. Fast forward a year or so plus. In trying to keep the SWMBO happy, I knew there were going to have to be some hoppy beers in the house. In one of my many trips to TJ's I found a couple of different bombers of 65 IBU ales, brought them home, chilled them, and knowing I wouldn't like them, I poured myself a short glass anyway, in support, you might you might say. Guess what?, I didn't hate them. I came to the realization the IPA's I didn't like, were very one dimensional, and over powered with one the the hop varieties, had a flavor I didn't care for. Anyway, I could not believe that both of these examples of high IBU's (65 IBU) were very tasty, and not offensive in the least, as there was a perfect balance of the added hops and no "bitter beer face", for me at least. If you don't like hoppy beers, you don't like hoppy beers. But maybe, like me, you made your mind up on a bad example of what could really be an enjoyable (within reason) style of beer.

I REEEEALLY want to like hefes. The romance is there, the simplicity, the tradition. But I just can't seem to enjoy the banana-clove thing. Closest I got was a fresh version of SN's Kellerweiss when I visited the brewery in January. Even then, I could only get through about half a pint of the stuff.

BMC aka water... Just last week I gave a bud light to my buddy that was left over from a 12pk that was brought over to my house LAST 4th of July, at the end of the party there was two left and it took me a whole year to get rid of them.

My buddy doesn't like those bitter beers I drink so I gave him the bud light with the disclaimer that it was a year old. He just cracked it open and took a big drink, then proclaimed, no that is the good stuff.

I also don't care for sours.

I still don't get the whole wheat beer thing, I believe it's a fad that should have gone away by now. I HATE the flavor of clove. Period. So, banana and clove, and coriander, and orange, and lemon, and tears of a horse, and, well you get it. NO!. I realize wheat beers have been made for centuries in Europe, and that is okay, and I really don't hate wheat beers, per se, but the Blue Moon clone concept is just old.oh, that and Lunguppy 1200, or whatever it's called.

BMC aka water

I thought this was just implied? I went to my brother's house the other day (he loves bud light) and he's drinking with a buddy and all he has is BL so I crack one open. A few minutes later he comes back with another round of BL and I had to turn it down. I literally could only stomach one of that awful swill. My body was almost literally rejecting it. I didn't make a scene of it but just politely said no

I love wee heavy's but struggle with most beers that contain a lot of ester flavors. I want to like saison but I absolutely detest the stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I couldn't agree with you more. "Most" of the IPA's I have tried are so damned bitter, with the exception of Sierra Nevada's "RUTHLESS RYE" IPA. That is a very good product IMO.
50 to 55 IBU is about the max for me. Anything above that is getting too bitter for my palate.
I guess that's why I brew a lot of pale ales and IPA's. I hop burst so I get the flavors without the extreme bitterness.

Me too,being English we don't have very hoppy beers,most ipas taste like I'm sucking on a grapefruit

None. I have never felt like I should like a beer. I always try new beers with an open mind and when they end up not being what I like then I just make a note of that so I don't accidentally buy it again. There is a beer that I like in any given style. Sometimes I have to brew that beer myself but I have always found one.

However if I was to reverse this question to beers I like but wished I didn't then the list could be huge. Sometimes meeting the brewer really bothers me if they are jerks. But even jerks can make great beer that I love to drink. Other times price can become an issue. My favorite beers sometimes end up being pricy compared to others and that can make me wish I didn't love it quite so much.

I REEEEALLY want to like hefes. The romance is there, the simplicity, the tradition. But I just can't seem to enjoy the banana-clove thing. Closest I got was a fresh version of SN's Kellerweiss when I visited the brewery in January. Even then, I could only get through about half a pint of the stuff.

Ditto. Had one earlier, "Oh, it's summer time," I thought, "I'll enjoy one of these delicious hefes." Cut to...total disappointment. Take away the banana-clove and give me a nice summer ale. Add an extra 2 ounces of hops and put me in heaven!

Back