Beers that I can age?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meadiator

Reaction score
Looking for some beer recipes I can brew that are 10+ abv. I really like beers kind of like Prairie's Bomb!. Is there a good recipe database to go to for something like this?

Looking for some beer recipes I can brew that are 10+ abv. I really like beers kind of like Prairie's Bomb!. Is there a good recipe database to go to for something like this?

Look at Imperial Stouts and BarleyWines.

Almost any beer that doesn't include aroma hops will age well. Hop aroma will dissipate quickly and be mostly gone by three months. I rarely brew beers with high amounts of alcohol. I prefer the ones in the 3.5 to 6 % range as I like to be able to enjoy the flavor without becoming impaired. The stouts and porters in that percent age well, with my stouts still improving in flavor and mouthfeel at 2 years in the bottles.

...or if you prefer, German bocks and Belgian tripels or specialty ales. Those are alternatives, too.

agreed. Basic rules for aging are:
>8 % ABV (ideally >10% abv for extended aging)
dark in color is better in my opinion, of course tripels and belgian golden strong ales are ok too, but you get more complexity from variety of specialty malts in my opinion
Sours can be aged as well of course
heavily hopped or smoked beers (since both hops and smoked malt act as preservative - keep in mind that hop aroma will decay very quickly though).

Beers that don't include volatile flavor/aroma, such as hop aroma, coffee, most spices, fruit (with exception of some sours) etc. - those will tend to dissipate over a period of a few months.

Types of beer appropriate for aging:
Imperial Stouts, BarleyWines, American/Belgian Strong Ales (Quads) - both dark and golden, Belgian Tripels, Eisbocks, DoppleBocks, Baltic Porters, Old Ale, Kellerbier, some examples of Dunklebocks and Weizenbocks, some Scotch Ales, Wheat Wines, Braggots, Lambics/Fruit Lambics, Flanders Red Ale, Oud Bruin, Gueuze, etc.

Back