Beerfest disappointment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steveruch

Reaction score
I guess I got spoiled by the Oregon Brewers Festival: five days, noon to nine with free entry and you buy the mug and however many tokens you want.
The local Fort Wayne beerfests run one day for three hours and cost over $46 for admission, a tasting glass and unlimited samples.
I'll take a pass.

I gave up on brewfests a long time ago. Travel a distance then spend a bunch of $$$ to stand in line for a mixed-bag of beers. Most of the fests around here also charge a gate fee for the non-drinking designated drivers. Pay for the privilege of standing around and drinking some water? How could anyone resist. Way to encourage people to bring along a DD and be safe.

One plus: there are usually so many mediocre beers at those things that it boosts your confidence--knowing that you can brew better. ;)

I gave up on brewfests a long time ago. Travel a distance then spend a bunch of $$$ to stand in line for a mixed-bag of beers.
I only ever paid any money the first time I attended the OBF. Starting the next year I volunteered to pour a shift. If you volunteer you get a shirt, a mug, and a bunch of tokens. And I always used public transportation.

That beerfest sounds fun, local ones here are hit and miss.. bbbuuuttt, Philly beer week is a fantastic time, its not so much a beerfest though there are events you can attend. I live about 2 hours from philly and usually take the train there for a couple days. Havent been in a couple years but look forward to getting there again.

2nd year running that OBF isn't going to happen, I'm beyond depressed over that. It's almost always on my birthday weekend, the husband and I have been going since 2010. Best part of OBF is that the tokens carry over from year to year, so if we have some leftover on the last day we don't have to worry, they'll be good for next year. Not to mention Voodoo Donuts on our way home....dammit.

That's how the inaugural one here was run but I think it was $25. You got a set number of tokens, but not many breweries made you give them a token especially as the evening went on. It got cancelled because of Covid last year. The guy who organized it closed his restaurant so I'm guessing its dead.

I guess I got spoiled by the Oregon Brewers Festival: five days, noon to nine with free entry and you buy the mug and however many tokens you want.
The local Fort Wayne beerfests run one day for three hours and cost over $46 for admission, a tasting glass and unlimited samples.
I'll take a pass.
There was one around Easter at the Oregon Convention center, same thing tokens and a mug. A couple rounds of tokens and things got real fun.

I have never been to one that uses tokens, how much do they cost? For years my Homebrew club would pour at different events throughout the summer so I don’t think I ever paid to attend one. Most of the ones around here are only $25-30 if memory serves.

Waiting in line just isn't my thing. So no beerfests, amusement parks or trendy nightclubs for me. However I may attend a homebrewer beerfest/campout this summer, but I doubt there will be anyone waiting in a line for anything there....

Waiting in line just isn't my thing. So no beerfests, amusement parks or trendy nightclubs for me. However I may attend a homebrewer beerfest/campout this summer, but I doubt there will be anyone waiting in a line for anything there....
Maybe the porta-potty.

I have never been to one that uses tokens, how much do they cost? For years my Homebrew club would pour at different events throughout the summer so I don’t think I ever paid to attend one. Most of the ones around here are only $25-30 if memory serves.
Tokens at the OBF were $1. A small sample was 1 token and a full mug was 4.

Yes. Even on Saturdays it was pretty sparse for the first hour. I'm hoping things improve enough for OBF 2022. 🤞
Going to OBF as a homebrewer is tons of fun. Mostly to listen to the 20-something wannabe beer connosieurs (yes I know I spelled that wrong) rave intelligently over this or that brew when they had no clue what the particular hop used was or what SRM means, just to impress their wife/girlfriend/buddies. Yes, petty, I know. They were just there to get drunk and wait to see Darth Vader go by on his unicycle playing his bagpipes (which I admit I eagerly wait for every year). Going early in the week is the best, also on the last day when the breweries bring out their last kegs and might have something spectacular in reserve for when what they originally brought runs out. And, as mentioned before, Voodoo Donuts. And standing in a huge crowd of people, doing our version of "the wave", when everyone yells and raises their tasting glass. 2 years in a row they went with glass tasting glasses instead of the plastic mugs, and many sliced feet were had those years from dropped/smashed glasses. I still have four of them.

Latest posts

Back