Beercan Turkey Anyone????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sAvAgE

Reaction score
So I have done quite a few Beercan chickens and the results of it are astounding. So I got to thinking how about a beercan turkey? Has anyone tried this?

You would need at least a 40 :)

I have been using this brine recipe for all my chicken and turkey. It makes them moist and super tasty.

Poultry Brine
1 gallon water
1 cup kosher salt
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
4 T. Worcestershire
1/2 cup molasses
2 T. tender quick
2 T. old bay
1 T. black pepper (optional)
1 T. mustard seeds
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup chopped garlic or 3 T. granulated
1/4 cup chopped onion 3 T. granulated
1 T. tarragon
1 T. oregano
2 bay leaves

Add all ingredients, bring to a boil, stir until dissolved
Refrigerate until 40 degrees or cooler
Add chicken/turkey let brine for 10-12 hours remove rinse well and let air dry (5 gallon buckets work great for turkeys)

Rub with oil and favorite seasonings, stuff cavity with any or all of the following: Onion, celery, carrots, garlic & lemon.

Grill, smoke or bake as usual

I have heard of such a thing. Can't remember specifics, but I believe it involved a 24oz or Oilcan of some sort. With a big enough grill, it shouldn't be hard at all, just take a little longer. Better have plenty of propane.

You might get the beer taste in the meat a little better with a basting syringe. I've been injecting chicken, duck, turkey, etc. (usually with juices, marinades, etc.) for the last year or two, seems to help keep things moist and flavorfull.

Hey Superior, have you tried or would you suggest that brine recipe for a deep fried turkey? I'm going to try my first on New Year's Eve.

I dont know if that would work so good, might be too much liquid seeping out and make a spatter of fire problem. Probably be ok with injecting some infused oils or butter for deepfrying.

bc0994_stainless_steel_turkcan_rack.jpg

I have smoked 3 turkeys (thxgiving gifts from work) on my grill. It's way easy and delicious. What I did was take an emptied can of Cooper's LME, and cut it w/ a grinder until it's only about 5 inches tall. Then fill it w/ some beer, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, BBQ sauce, and jalapenos. Just be sure it's totally thawed before you start, cuz you have to pull out the guts & the neck. Then just run the can op ol' Tom's ass untill it'll stand up and set him on the grill. I use "Blues Hog" meat rub on the outside, and butter up on top.

(I tried it w/ some hop pellets once, but it wasn't that great.)

If you really wanna do it right, get some apple wood chips and soak them in water for 30-40 minutes before you start. Then strain the water off them & put 'em in an old iron skillet.

Make sure all your coals are on one side of the grill & Tom's on the other side. Put that skillet right on top of the coals, and crack open a beer.

keep the temp at 225-250 for about 6 hours and chow down. You need to add new coals about every 1-1.5 hours. It's friggin' easy and fun, but people will think you're some kind of chef.:rockin:

SuperiorBrew said:
You would need at least a 40 :)

I have been using this brine recipe for all my chicken and turkey. It makes them moist and super tasty.

Poultry Brine
1 gallon water
1 cup kosher salt
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
4 T. Worcestershire
1/2 cup molasses
2 T. tender quick
2 T. old bay
1 T. black pepper (optional)
1 T. mustard seeds
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup chopped garlic or 3 T. granulated
1/4 cup chopped onion 3 T. granulated
1 T. tarragon
1 T. oregano
2 bay leaves

Add all ingredients, bring to a boil, stir until dissolved
Refrigerate until 40 degrees or cooler
Add chicken/turkey let brine for 10-12 hours remove rinse well and let air dry (5 gallon buckets work great for turkeys)

Rub with oil and favorite seasonings, stuff cavity with any or all of the following: Onion, celery, carrots, garlic & lemon.

Grill, smoke or bake as usual

Have you ever used Italian Dressing In place of the Vinegar? I was just curious because we used it on a wild turkey I shot last year.

No I have marinated sliced wild turkey breast in Italian and grilled it and it rocked.
Will have to try it on one I have in the freezer. I make a bunch of the marinade ahead and freeze it so I can just take it out at the same time as the frozen bird.

Back