Beer was fine on tap then lost all flavor in 2 days?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powerpunk5000

Reaction score
So I brewed a hazy pale ale ( i can post the recipe) but after dry hops it has like 1lbs of hops

I was off on my OG and it fermented 8-10 days dry hopped for 2 or so. Came out to 4.5% abv low because OG was off ( recipe was supposed to be 6.5%)

I kegged it and force carbed it, transfered with siphon ( but my tube to transfer was short and it did run down side of keg)

30 psi for about 1.5 mins shaking

Came out pretty great. Great hop aroma and tasted like OG

Left it on 10 psi tried it today and it has basically no taste. ( 2 days later)

I did pull 3 lil 3 oz samples instead of a full glass sp maybe this was beer in the line hence no flavor?

I really don't understand ?

Hmm... I understand losing dry hop flavor. Is this is what is meant by losing all flavor?
It Taste like water and is like not carbonated any longer?

There are like 8+ ozs in boil/ whirpool and like 8 in dry hop and it taste like a light beer which is so odd because when me and my buddy tried it after force carbing it was like duper hoppy Orange juice taste

Is the beer significantly darker than it was originally? My first thought was oxidation but usually it takes longer than a couple days at kegerator temps

The first few pours get some of the junk that settles to the bottom of the keg. Usually a bit grassy for a pale ale.

But yeah, go get yourself tested for CV just in case.

Sounds like somebody played a prank and swapped your keg when you weren't looking for hard seltzer...you're giving me ideas! 😁

I was gonna say there are cases of people losing sense of smell and taste with covid.. 2 days seems extreme..

So I brewed a hazy pale ale ( i can post the recipe) but after dry hops it has like 1lbs of hops

I was off on my OG and it fermented 8-10 days dry hopped for 2 or so. Came out to 4.5% abv low because OG was off ( recipe was supposed to be 6.5%)

I kegged it and force carbed it, transfered with siphon ( but my tube to transfer was short and it did run down side of keg)

30 psi for about 1.5 mins shaking

Came out pretty great. Great hop aroma and tasted like OG

Left it on 10 psi tried it today and it has basically no taste. ( 2 days later)

I did pull 3 lil 3 oz samples instead of a full glass sp maybe this was beer in the line hence no flavor?

I really don't understand ?
After transferring and before shake carbing, did you purge the heck out of the headspace? Super hoppy beers seem extra sensitive to oxygen. A good purge would be 12+ times at 30 psi. Otherwise you shook up all of the o2 that was in there into the beer.
But if your mom thinks it tastes the same, and she's a good taster of beer, then maybe it's just you

After transferring and before shake carbing, did you purge the heck out of the headspace? Super hoppy beers seem extra sensitive to oxygen. A good purge would be 12+ times at 30 psi. Otherwise you shook up all of the o2 that was in there into the beer.
^This.

Running the beer down the side of the keg + shaking oxygen into the beer from the headspace + force carbing with impure bottled CO2 (ie. not 100% pure, fermentation derived CO2) could easily kill the flavor and aroma of a NEIPA in 48 hours, even at cold temperatures. There might not even be a perceptible color change yet.

NEIPA’s are hyper-sensitive to oxidation. Kegging, force-carbing, and drinking quickly alone are not enough to mitigate the effects in highly hopped beers. You really have to go the extra mile.

But if you are showing other symptoms for COVID, definitely get tested!

Back