Beer Volcanoe in 3.. 2.. 1...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grossy

Reaction score
What not to do with a full 5 gallon keg of beer.

I made a pale ale last month, and there was absolutely nothing wrong with it, except that it had no flavor. As a Budweiser it was great. Now I have read Revvy's article about never throwing out your beer, but there was no way that the beer Gods were going to come down and add hops to this beer.

So I needed the keg, and a sacrifice had to be made.

So I opened the pressure relief valve of the keg, let off all the pressure, and then popped the lid.

Beer Volcanoe in 3.. 2.. 1...

Thats when the &^%$ hit the fan. Beer started pouring out, I don't mean like a hose faucet on full blast, I mean full force volcano. It hit the ceiling, all I could do was grab it, and throw it into the sink upside down.

Beer on the walls, beer on the ceiling, beer flowing down the garage floor.

I have done this before, and never had a problem. Somewhere there is a very old professor of Chemistry, who is currently laughing at me. Not only did I forget the equation of what happens to a gas trapped in solution under pressure when that that pressure is relieved, but for the moment I forgot the concept.

hahaha, I have done that, my keg, friends garage. one time the lid of the tap unscrewed on my friend as he was serving, and putting more gas in. regulator was set to 60psi. he crimped the line after about 6 pints

I had a chance of something similar happening earlier.

I had 5 gallons of a year+ old Milk Stout that I was adding to my kegerator, but when I tried to hook up the gas IN the hose kepot popping off?!?!?!?! I bled a little off with the relief valve and kept trying but over and over I got the same. Foam out of the relief, but hose popping off if I tried to hook it to gas. Finally, I just left it NOT hooked up and took off for the night.

Got home 1/2 hour or so ago and pulled the relief and let all out. REhooked the supply and all went well.

PATIENCE! PATIENCE! PATIENCE!

Latest posts

Back