Beer used to be better

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To a certain extent, I totally understand where most of you are coming from. When I started building my brewery, my goal was to have as diverse a selection of beer styles that I could reasonably maintain with the emphasis NOT on IPAs. While I think they're a wonderful style of beer and are remarkably popular right now, I had grown weary of walking into pubs/breweries and seeing six or eight of ten taps devoted to IPAs. With that in mind, I set out to provide some choices. At this point, I have 21 beers on tap that are all brewed on the premises. I have everything from Berliner Weisse to Barleywines aged on peaches in bourbon barrels, Irish reds aged in rum barrels to barrel-soured beers, real lagers and pilsners to fruited wheat beers, and, of course, many of the "usual" suspects, Browns, Porters, Stouts, Scotch Ale, many Belgians, etc. Yes, I do have IPAs, but only three out of 21 taps. I have a session, our "regular," which is a balance between English and west coast, and I have a IIPA. The session and IIPA are fermented HOT with Hornindal so they're not the usual suspects. I do not currently have any NEIPA, though the session and IIPA have some of the same attributes.

Having said all that, I don't claim to be a "master brewer" because I don't believe in the moniker due to the fact that brewing is as much art as it is science and I don't think anyone can really master all of it. Are all my beers world class? Of course not, but that doesn't mean I don't continually tweak the recipes I know can be better every time I brew them. At this point, I probably have about 3/4s of the over 40 styles of beer that I've offered at the pub in final recipe form. The rest are still in development to one extent or another. It makes brewing interesting to make slight changes to see how they affect the final product.

In the end and IMHO, if a beer is well brewed and clean, it comes down to whether or not a person likes the flavors presented. It's totally subjective. There is a lot of playing around with style guidelines these days, which I think is a good thing, so necessarily nailing a style or comparing a "composite" beer to a strict style isn't always preferred for some. For example, I often have customers tell me "I don't like dark beer." I tell them that's cool but "dark" isn't a flavor descriptor. I then question them a bit about what they do like in a beer and try to give them samples of dark beers that seem to align with what they're looking for. Literally, nine times out of ten they like one of the dark beers I've given to them and end up ordering a glass. To me, that's one of the most rewarding aspects of being a brewer; that is, turning someone on to a beer they would have never tried otherwise.

I had been home brewing for 25 years when I turned "pro," wrote for a magazine called Brewing Techniques in the 90s, and entered and won some competitions, but I was DEAD SCARED when it came time to open our pub. In fact, I missed our grand opening because I was in the hospital with atrial fibrillation due to the stress of four years building the place and then stepping into the brewery to produce our product. Opening a brewery isn't for the faint of heart and it requires constant dedication and an unwavering work ethic. In the beginning, there were many 14-16 hour days. I'm happy to say that's not the case anymore because, frankly, it would have killed me. I'm proud of the fact that we've sold every drop of beer we've brewed and haven't had to dump anything . . . yet, but we pay scrupulous attention to all aspects of the process and ESPECIALLY sanitation. Doing anything less invites problems.

Anyway, my $0.02.

Cheers,
--
Don
Partner / Head Brewer
Idyllwild Brewpub

Sounds like you are the type of person the craft beer world needs more of...

Respect the history, and continually strive to keep it around, and see to it that people have access.
Experiment with the current, and provide people with a choice of what they prefer.
Strive to be original, and keep things new and interesting.

Most breweries have to follow the trends to keep crowds coming in. Sadly that leads to some really poor examples of the current trendy beer styles out there. Outside of a few select places, the 'hazy ipas' around me are pretty much garbage. Just oxidized, old hop, sticky sweet messes of beers. The newer dessert trend is basically everywhere around me too where we have stouts that want to taste like french toast with a crap load of maple syrup... or a hazy 'ipa' that is trying to taste like berry cobblers. Good examples of those are actually phenomenal beers... the knockoffs, not so much.

None of these new types of beers are really surprising... humans like sugary drinks, make a sugary beer and people love them.

Personally, I'm ready for the next trend... but I will say when I can get a high end example of these styles, I'll still get one. Just like when I can grab Pliny the Elder, I almost always order that. My gut feeling and some of what I've seen locally... lagers are making a slow, and steady comeback. They probably won't be completely traditional, but clean and crisp seems to be on the upward trend. Even just look at the seltzers... clean, crisp, fruity. That is where I think people will trend.

I agree that the NEIPA or the let’s throw a whole bakery into a sour trend is a bit over the top. I have to admit that there’s quite a few breweries near me (Allagash, Oxbow, Bunker, Brewery Extrava, and Banded Brewing) that do brew beer well and they seem to follow their own path. It’s nice to see how some brewery models can thrive on brewing beers out of line with the trend.

I still like to hit breweries like that. But between lactose IPA's and pastry stouts, I try way less than I used to.

Still fun to do, but I agree, it was more fun 10 years ago. (And I really like NEIPA's)

To a certain extent, I totally understand where most of you are coming from. When I started building my brewery, my goal was to have as diverse a selection of beer styles that I could reasonably maintain with the emphasis NOT on IPAs. While I think they're a wonderful style of beer and are remarkably popular right now, I had grown weary of walking into pubs/breweries and seeing six or eight of ten taps devoted to IPAs. With that in mind, I set out to provide some choices. At this point, I have 21 beers on tap that are all brewed on the premises. I have everything from Berliner Weisse to Barleywines aged on peaches in bourbon barrels, Irish reds aged in rum barrels to barrel-soured beers, real lagers and pilsners to fruited wheat beers, and, of course, many of the "usual" suspects, Browns, Porters, Stouts, Scotch Ale, many Belgians, etc. Yes, I do have IPAs, but only three out of 21 taps. I have a session, our "regular," which is a balance between English and west coast, and I have a IIPA. The session and IIPA are fermented HOT with Hornindal so they're not the usual suspects. I do not currently have any NEIPA, though the session and IIPA have some of the same attributes.

Having said all that, I don't claim to be a "master brewer" because I don't believe in the moniker due to the fact that brewing is as much art as it is science and I don't think anyone can really master all of it. Are all my beers world class? Of course not, but that doesn't mean I don't continually tweak the recipes I know can be better every time I brew them. At this point, I probably have about 3/4s of the over 40 styles of beer that I've offered at the pub in final recipe form. The rest are still in development to one extent or another. It makes brewing interesting to make slight changes to see how they affect the final product.

In the end and IMHO, if a beer is well brewed and clean, it comes down to whether or not a person likes the flavors presented. It's totally subjective. There is a lot of playing around with style guidelines these days, which I think is a good thing, so necessarily nailing a style or comparing a "composite" beer to a strict style isn't always preferred for some. For example, I often have customers tell me "I don't like dark beer." I tell them that's cool but "dark" isn't a flavor descriptor. I then question them a bit about what they do like in a beer and try to give them samples of dark beers that seem to align with what they're looking for. Literally, nine times out of ten they like one of the dark beers I've given to them and end up ordering a glass. To me, that's one of the most rewarding aspects of being a brewer; that is, turning someone on to a beer they would have never tried otherwise.

I had been home brewing for 25 years when I turned "pro," wrote for a magazine called Brewing Techniques in the 90s, and entered and won some competitions, but I was DEAD SCARED when it came time to open our pub. In fact, I missed our grand opening because I was in the hospital with atrial fibrillation due to the stress of four years building the place and then stepping into the brewery to produce our product. Opening a brewery isn't for the faint of heart and it requires constant dedication and an unwavering work ethic. In the beginning, there were many 14-16 hour days. I'm happy to say that's not the case anymore because, frankly, it would have killed me. I'm proud of the fact that we've sold every drop of beer we've brewed and haven't had to dump anything . . . yet, but we pay scrupulous attention to all aspects of the process and ESPECIALLY sanitation. Doing anything less invites problems.

Anyway, my $0.02.

Cheers,
--
Don
Partner / Head Brewer
Idyllwild Brewpub

Long overdue for a trip up to Idyllwild. I'll definitely hitting up your place after looking at your menu. Dubbel, Dopplebock, Wee Heavy? Put an Old Ale on there and I'm likely to not leave.

Anyway, my $0.02.

Cheers,
--
Don
Partner / Head Brewer
Idyllwild Brewpub
Nice! Glad to hear your journey! I'll put u on my Yelp bookmarks so I get a reminder next time I'm in idyllwild to check out your spot..bout 2 hr drive from where I'm living otherwise I'd head there right now... ;)

Anyway, my $0.02.

Cheers,
--
Don
Partner / Head Brewer
Idyllwild Brewpub

I totally agree with your philosophy. If I ever find myself on the west coast, I will stop by and sample some of your beers! 😁

Latest posts

Back