Beer transferring: Will this work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YOpassDAmike

Reaction score
Sorry for the bad art work, I attached a hamd drawn picture to help clarify my idea. I am looking for the best method of transferring my beer to a bottle with the least amount of oxygen pick up. I don't have a 5 gallon keg and don't intend on buying one. I just want to utilize the equipment I currently have. I want to bottle condition this beer (it's a saison) because it is appropriate for the style. Therefore, I will be using a bottling bucket (which will be purged with CO2 prior to the transfer) with a modified lid. If I drill another hole in the lid and add a rubber grommet , I can attach a racking cane and a air lock (for pressure release of gases) to the same lid. This way I can transfer the beer into an enclosed bottling bucket with no risk of damaging the bucket due to pressure build up. Do you think this would work and also be effective enough for reducing as much oxygen as possible in the transferring process?

View attachment 1491696568925.jpg

You will be fine just transferring to the bucket with a racking cane. I would be leary of pressurizing a glass carboy. If plastic, you should be fine.

Back