Beer to drink in Austin and Dallas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abeasst

Reaction score
I'll be in Austin and Dallas next month and wanted to get some recommendations on some local beer to try while there.

From Austin; Real Ale's Devil's Backbone is a great light Belgian tripple in Austin. That's my most recent fave.

Live oak hefe, oh man its good. They only keg and have somewhat limited distribution, but amazing beer.

From Austin; Real Ale's Devil's Backbone is a great light Belgian tripple in Austin. That's my most recent fave.

I'm a huge belgian tripple fan so I'll definitely try to get a hold of a Devil's Backbone.

+1 on the Real Ale Devils Backbone from Austin.

In Dallas Deep Ellum Brewery makes a good IPA and Community makes a pretty good Witbier.

For me, the Dallas area the must-trys are Lakewood Temptress (Imperial Milk Stout), Peticolas Velvet Hammer (Imperial Red Ale), Community Mosaic IPA, and Revolver Blood and Honey (American Wheat). Deep Elum, Franconia, Rahr and Martin House all each have good beers, too.

Here are a few more to look for in
Dallas...

Peticolas' "A Lost Epic" (Belgian Tripel)

Deep Ellum "2x Rye IPA"

Lakewood "Hop Trapp" (Belgium IPA)

As mentioned above you can't go wrong with Lakewood Temptress and Community Mosaic IPA

Live oak hefe, oh man its good. They only keg and have somewhat limited distribution, but amazing beer.

I love Live Oak, but not hefe (ick). They make great beers, and I think it's my favorite Austin brewery right now.

Go the The Draughthouse in Austin, and you can try many of the best beers around. They have other beers too, like from Colorado and the west coast that I don't have available to me normally, so I've enjoyed those even though they weren't local breweries.

The Draughthouse looks perfect based on their tap list. A good selection of local and other craft beers. We'll definitely hit that up.

no St. Arnold or Rahr fans out there?

St. Arnold Lawnmower (Kolsch) is pretty tasty, as is their Weed Wacker... which is the same recipe as Lawnmower, but with Hefe yeast.

Rahr Iron Thistle is a wonderful Scottish Ale, and their Storm Cloud IPA is great.

Revolver Bock and their Blood & Honey are really great.

Deep Elum IPAs are also pretty good.

And depending where in DFW you'll be - Old Monk and Craft & Growler in Dallas... The Ginger Man, and Flying Saucer have locations in both Fort Worth and Dallas. In Fort Worth - Live Oak Music Hall and the Bearded Lady will have plenty of craft beer.

If you'll be in there Apr 5... there is a giant TX Craft Beer Fest at Fair Park in Dallas (same as the Cotton Bowl and The State Fair is held).
http://www.bigtexasbeerfest.com/

no St. Arnold or Rahr fans out there? .

I am a Saint Arnold fan, but the OP was asking about local beer in DAL and AUS. Saint Arnold's is distributed all over Texas. If you can find, I would recommend their Endeavour IPA. The only beer I like from Rahr is their Stormcloud IPA.

For other places in Dallas to find beers...

Lower Greenville has a few places that are worth going to again, I've found. The Blind Butcher and Dallas Beer Kitchen both have good selections of both local and non-local craft beer. The food at The Blind Butcher is pretty damn good too.

Can't go wrong with the Flying Saucer usually. I haven't been in a while, though, so I couldn't tell you what their local craft beer selection is like, but I imagine it's pretty good.

Best places to grab a drink in Dallas:
Common Table
Meddlesome Moth
Strangeways
Gingerman
Craft and Growler

Probably the best places for bottles would be the liquor stores and higher end grocery stores. I would suggest Spec's and Total Wine for liquor stores, and Whole Foods and Central Market for grocery stores.

There are smaller stores scattered around the DFW area that have great bottle selections. In Flower Mound, for example, there's a gas station on Morriss Rd. that has over 100 different craft beers in bottles/cans. I imagine there are places like that in other parts of the area, too.

Some grocery stores have good selections, some don't. Central Market, Whole Foods, and Market Street will normally be safe bets for stuff like Lakewood, Community and Deep Elum beers.

It all really depends on which part of the area you're going to be in. It's a very large area!

Back