Beer that's fast... like a marsupial

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muthafuggle

Reaction score
Probably just being paranoid, but help me out here...

My daughter bought me a Pliny the Elder all-grain kit from MoreBeer. (and yes, she may be the best daughter in history).

I made 2, 1/2 gallon starters and pitched a Wyeast 1056 pack into each. The fermentation was nothing spectacular, no blowoff, no drama. I took a gravity reading at 7 days and I was at 1.008. "Sweet" I thought and added 4 ounces of hops for a week of dry hopping.

I have been hyper vigilant to make sure everything is perfect with this one... Hops went RIGHT on time, chilling was fast and clean, found a friend with an air conditioned cellar to ferment in... here's where I'm getting worried...

I am used to a full 3 (or more) weeks of Primary for moderately sized beers, then bottling. No need to rush things, RHAHB, all that... I'm worried that I am rushing this beer.

I know IPAs should be drunk young, but is only 2 weeks total going too fast? Have I allowed enough time for yeast "cleanup" in a very large beer like this one? The SG says it's done... do I trust it?

I think my Pliny is peaking right now and I brewed it exactly 2-months ago. I had it in the primary for 1-month then I moved it to a keg for a week before putting it on the gas in the keezer for a couple more weeks to carb up.

2-months total have passed since I brewed it and it's friggin' amazing.

I would give it another week or so personally, then I would cold crash for 3-5 days and rack off of the sediment that collected at the bottom. Then I would package and drink that sucker.

Back