Just took a gravity reading and sampled my Pliny clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dyetube

Reaction score
So, I just took a FG reading of 1.015 of my Pliny the Elder clone (OG being 1.085). It's still fermenting but the fermentation has slowed down enough on this day (day 4) of fermentation that I wanted to see where it was at, plus I wanted to go ahead and add the hops so they'd be in the beer longer.

It's still fermenting and I think I'm going to reach my target gravity of 1.010 which will put me at 10.52% abv according to the brewers friend alternate abv calculator (The advanced calculator) and 9.84% with the standard calculator. This beer should be at 8% abv on the norm.

I was afraid of getting esters in this beer because of only pitching one smack pack of the Wyeast 1056. Mind you this thing has a crap ton of hops in it so if the esters do exist, I might not know it.

upon sampling so far, everything is absolutely phenomenal! On the nose I get grass, pine and citrus. This will become WAY more prominent once dry hopping is done. The body is medium to heavy with a dry mouthfeel. The flavors are pine, citrus and maybe just a hint of grass. The citrus comes through a little more than normal but this might be from the esters (if I got some) messing with the fruitiness. It definitely doesn't take away from the beer at all. It's still (obviously) very cloudy. Even when it clears up, it'll probably be cloudier than most double or triple IPAs but I am perfectly fine with that. I honestly don't want it to be crystal clear.

Because of the amount of trub in this beer, it may have to sit in the fermentor more than 2 weeks to clear up better.

All in all, this is going to be one hell of a beer.

***And for all the new homebrewers out there, please make sure you just enjoy the process and don't sweat the small stuff. I had a number of things go wrong while I was brewing this beer and it didn't bother me at all! I just kept notes and remembered to be a little more careful next time. Remember: RDWHAHB!***

Back