Beer temp soared in heatwave...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sir.Osis of Liver

Reaction score
I started my brew and the wort temp was just at the high side of the recommended temp range, 23 degrees C (75 degrees F). When I got home from work today it was bubbling away but the side of the fermentor felt warm. I opened it up to get a reading and to my alarm the temp was 29 degrees (84 F) ! I put the fermentor in my bath tub and filled it with cold water and now the temp is starting to fall.

It's been just under 24 hours from when I pitched. What can I expect from this batch as a side effect?

olllllo said:
What anthrobe said.

Anything from fruity esthers to hot alcohol (fusel) flavors.

I'm hoping you made a Belgian Farmhouse ale.

Either that or an American Hefeweizen

If the fermentation has not started yet, you won't have any problems. Too warm during the yeast's growth phase only speeds up the growth (97% of the time). If it is fermenting, see above.

My ales usually ferment on the high side (I really need to get a new central AC unit), and I haven't noticed too many off flavors in my beers. With a pale ale, I wouldn't worry too much.

Given that it was bubbling away fermentation had begun. On the plus side you found it quickly and cooled it down but only time will tell. I'd RDWHAHB and see what you get. I cancelled this weeks brewing plans because we are expecting temps in the 90's here in the PNW :( .

Back