Beer tastes like Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Peters

Reaction score
Morning, recently the wife and I brewed an All Grain batch of All Chinook IPA. I inadvertently used TOO MUCH yeast nutrient. We dry hopped and thus not using a secondary. We bottled yesterday and our gravity was good but the beer tastes like yeast. I have read that the extra nutrient while not desirable may not be the only issue. Any advice or insight would be great.
Thanks
Foggy Bottom Farms
Bill

Was your beer clear when you bottled it?

And, yeah, how much nutrient did you use?
The dosage on most jars (0.5-1 tsp/gallon) is meant for wine or mead, which have little or no nutrients of their own. Beer already contains pretty much all yeast needs.

Adding 1/2 tsp of nutrient to a 5 gallon batch of beer is plenty!

You say you bottled yesterday? I'm guessing you tasted the hydrometer sample? I wouldn't worry too much about it at this point. Give the yeast two or three weeks to do their thing in the bottle, eating up the priming sugar and carbonating the beer. The taste will change immensely as it carbonates and the yeast settle down to the bottom of the bottle. I'm sure you will be fine.

Good Morning,
We made approx 5.4 gallons using Wyeast 1056
The amount called for 1 tsp per gal. I used a Tbl spoon per gal . ( I should have paid attention in Home Ec class)
The beer was quire clear when bottled.
The nutrient is a LD Carlson brand that contains Di ammonium Phosphate and food grade Urea. I assume is is pretty standard stuff.
Yes we did taste from the gravity from the Hydrometer sample.
Thanks for all of the advice.
On a positive note. We brewed a Honey Brown Ale the next day using local Honey and the tasted it had in the Hydrometer was FANTASTIC!!
foggy Bottom Farms
Bill

The amount called for 1 tsp per gal. I used a Tbl spoon per gal .

You surely way overdid it with 1 Tbs/gallon. Should we assume you had a big jar of it?
I have never tasted that DAP/Urea mix, but I'm sure at that level it will be perceptible. Dissolve a few granules at a time in a shot glass and see where the taste threshold lies. Maybe that's what you're tasting.

What exactly called for 1 tsp/gal? Your recipe?

Glad you Honey Brown tastes good! Did you add the same amount of nutrient to that too?

Hello,
the recipe for the nutrients is on the nutrient package itself.
I will perform the taste test and see what it tastes like.
We used 1 tsp per gal rather than 1 table spoon per gal. We just began using nutrients but likely will stop using it all together as we had good results prior to using it.

The amount called for 1 tsp per gal. I used a Tbl spoon per gal .
We used 1 tsp per gal rather than 1 table spoon per gal.
?

Adding small amounts of nutrients to (beer) wort may be beneficial. As you said, it worked fine before, without them.
Adding 1/2 tsp of nutrient to a 5 gallon batch of beer is plenty!
Ignore directions on the nutrient packaging, in this case they are an indication meant for wine (and possibly mead) not beer.

?

Ignore directions on the nutrient packaging, in this case they are an indication meant for wine (and possibly mead) not beer.

I have some of this stuff. Mine is from BSG. Fermax yeast nutrient. It should be good for either beer or wine at the proper dosage.

The label says: Use 1.0 - 1.5 teaspoons per gallon to optimize yeast activity, quicken or restart fermentation.

I bought it when I ran out of Wyeast beer nutrient blend, which I prefer. At the proper dosage I don't think it changes the taste.

I bet when the bottles are conditioned it will be OK.

It should be good for either beer or wine at the proper dosage.

The label says: Use 1.0 - 1.5 teaspoons per gallon to optimize yeast activity, quicken or restart fermentation.
You said it: Proper dosage is key here.

Dosage for beer is different than for wine. Fruit (grape) juice has very little nutrients, (beer) wort is already loaded with them.

You said it: Proper dosage is key here.

Dosage for beer is different than for wine. Fruit (grape) juice has very little nutrients, (beer) wort is already loaded with them.

With this stuff I think that the 1.0 teaspoons would be alright in either wine or beer. (my experience says it is OK at 1tsp in beer) One tablespoon would not.

Back