Beer Style Yeast Combination

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PegCityBrew

Reaction score
Hello All:

This forum has helped so much I am wondering if you can help again.I am a big fan of the Brewhouse Kits and I picked up the Oktoberfest and a 3068Weihenstephan. I am just curiousif you think it would be an ok combination as I don't have a lagering fridge to brew a true lager. If you have a better recommendation let me know as I plan to pitch tomorrow. I also picked up a Canadian Lager to reuse the yeast and save some $$$.

Just curious of the forum thoughts? I am still a beer newbie and use the kits due to time constaints.

But I like the liquid yeast and noticed a HUGE difference with them.

Thanks

Those are completely different yeasts. Search for "pseudo lagers" and you're likely to see threads that discuss using ale yeasts to brew lager-like beers. Nottingham and some Alt/Kölsch yeasts are the most commonly used for the purpose, as far as I can tell. Most neutral ale yeasts fermented at the bottom of their range ought to get you close, but mash lower than usual to help with this.

That said, if what you're going for is not a regular Octoberfest style beer, but something different, then give it a shot. You may well love the results. You'll never know until you try it.

3068 is the canonical Hefeweizen yeast. If you ferment a Festbier wort with it, you'll get a Dampfbier. Nothing wrong with that, but if what you're after is a killer clean Oktoberfest, you'll be very disappointed. I'd use 2308, a big starter, tight temp control, and lots of patience.

After giving 3068 a fair chance in 3 different brews, I've come to the conclusion that I hate the flavors this yeast gives.

Use wlp 029 for a mocktoberfest and don't look back. I bet you'll fool people into thinking it's an actual lager.

What temps can you maintain? That kind of dictates what yeast would work for you. If you can do 60F or so then a simple cheap way to go would be Nottingham dry yeast.

I can probably control low 60s temperature. I have a fridge but temperatures tend to vary quite a bit. So maintaining the lager yeast between optimal temps is hard. I think I will take the yeast back and get and ale yeast or something at higher temps. Maybe the bohemian or california as the can handle the higher temps and still be a lager.

Maybe the NOttingham, but this one will go back.

Kle

Back