Beer Smith 3 Gold Subscription Expired

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kickass

Reaction score
I thought my BS3 gold subscription would revert to BS3 basic once the year subscription expired. As I’m not able to get into BS now, I’m thinking that was an incorrect assumption.

Can someone confirm whether or not an expired yearly subscription reverts to BS3 basic?

I intentionally did not renew my BS3 subscription as I found BrewFather has the updated features like Tilt integration that BS had promised almost a year ago and still had not incorporated into BS3. I transferred all my recipes back to BS2 as back up and I am still in the process of transferring them into BrewFather. I've been lazy......

I tried loading BS3 after reading your post and found I receive the "Your License Has Expired" message. When I log into BS, I see the subscription has been deactivated.

Did you ever back up your recipes electronically? If you did and used the BeerXML (*.XML) extension, you will be able to import the file into any program. If you used BS's (*.BSM or *.BSMX) extensions, you may have to use a BS program as I am not aware of any program that has a conversion feature.

Good luck!

I keep a more detailed hard copy log of all my recipes so that’s not as big of a deal. It’s more of the recipe creation that I’ll struggle to go without.

Mine also says that my license has expired. When I go to the website it has 15 of my recipes accessible in the cloud and says I have the basic version. Yet, I can’t open it from my desk top.

More confusing, when I try find the “basic” version to purchase on the website, it only shows the three subscription only versions.

Good news in a way....your electronic files and data are stored on your computer's Documents/BeerSmith3 directory.... BeerSmith Frequently Asked Questions - FAQ | BeerSmith™ Home Brewing Software

It appears the BS basic one- time fee cost more than the annual renewal fee....but its only a one-time fee.

http://beersmith.com/beersmith-3-licensing-explained/
I'm not sure what you are trying to do, but it may make sense to sign up under a different email for the 21 day trail and then export your files to the BeerXML file extension that can be used by other programs.

[...]Can someone confirm whether or not an expired yearly subscription reverts to BS3 basic?

Obviously, no, that isn't going to happen. But that would be a stupid easy way to get BS3 at ~60% off :)
I never thought the subscription deal made sense considering what the "major update" history has been, so I went with the one-time nut...

Cheers!

fwiw, I use both the desktop and mobile BS3 programs, and have found 15 recipes in the BS cloud is plenty, with the rest resident on my backed-up local storage. I don't know that anyone actually works across multiple systems on more than 15 recipes at once. I find one at a time is my capacity ;)

Cheers!

It's more about having quick access. A situation would be where you are at a homebrew club meeting and the topic of recipe for X style beer comes up and boom you have access to the one you brewed 2 years ago.

Ah, well, ok, and in your position that may actually happen often enough to make sense.
I prefer to optimize for the normal case :)

Cheers!

The annual model does get you a lot more cloud storage which makes sense if you like to work on your recipes from more than one location and/or with the mobile app. Here's a link for another year for $11 BeerSmith 3 Gold Membership 1 Year

Bobby,

Can the membership deal be used to extend an existing licence? Also, is there a shipping charge added at checkout?

Thanks!

Here's a link for another year for $11 BeerSmith 3 Gold Membership 1 Year
[EDIT]
Let's clarify that it's a 1 year subscription at a rate of $11 per month, or 12 * $11 = $131 for one year.
Sorry, I misunderstood/misread the terms of subscription.
It's indeed $11 for 1 year or per year (with subscription).

So Bobby offers the same deal for $3 off compared to BeerSmith's site. :rock:

Last edited:
Let's clarify that it's a 1 year subscription at a rate of $11 per month, or 12 * $11 = $131 for one year.

It very clearly says it is for a 1 year subscription.

It is interesting that I can't seem to see what I'm paying on the Beersmith website. I decided this last go around to do the subscription so I could hop between devices. When I go into my account it says it auto renews in July, but I don't seem to have a way to see what rate it is going to renew at.

Back