Beer smells like yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JGowls

Reaction score
Brewed a batch of the White House Honey Ale and tried one for the first time the other night. Beer was in primary for three weeks and carbed for three weeks, when I was bottling the beer everything looked and smelled fine. Opened one up the other night and its smells like yeast, funky yeast straight out of the smackpack. The beer tastes good but I'm just wondering why the yeast smell would appear when it wasnt there after fermentation. Any thoughts?

Joe

Well with bottle conditioning you're doing another fermentation in the bottle so yeast is definitely present. Was this just the initial smell when you first popped the top? Or did it still smell like that after pouring? And for that matter were you careful not to disturb the layer of yeast sediment in the bottom of the bottle or did you pour that into the glass as well?

After your bottles are carbed, there's still some yeast in suspension. Throw them in the fridge for a week or two to a) have the yeast floc out and b) to mellow/blend the beer's flavors. I've noticed that my beers seem to improve with a little cold conditioning period.

I dont think I roused the yeast too much when I was pouring, I left the last little bit in the bottle hoping to keep some of the yeast from getting into my glass. The smell lasted the whole time I was drinking the beer, from first sip to last. I let the bottles cold condition for about 5 days so Im hoping it clears up after a few more days

They will clear up. One thing that always comes back around with brewing is that patience is key. You'll thank yourself as the weeks past and your beer gets getting better

Beer Instagram: @mr****ella

Back