Beer - Science, or magic . . .

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunhaus

Reaction score
Good Morning;

So watcha think? Is beer science or magic? After long consideration, and considerable drinkin' thinkin' I have decided that no matter how scientific we try to make it; in the end beer - and indeed ALL cooking - is really just magic. I base this on some completely subjective and totally irrational observations.

First EVERYBODY knows that the very bestest beer is made by monks in secluded monasteries. God personally touches the selected monks on the forehead and from that point forward they are able to pee perfect beer for the rest of their lives. Biblical magic - but still magic!

This of course is the antithesis of what occurs when Satan touches the foreheads of Clydesdale's and from that point forward they pee the beverage in the red and white cans.

I developed a dry rub 30 plus years ago that I mix carefully and as consistently as possible. I have used a technique to make ribs for the same length of time that we follow carefully each time. And over the years my ribs have always come out the same wonderfully tender and delicious product - EXCEPT, for one batch several years ago that my son and I made, that was SO EXTREMELY EXCELLENT, that we considered preserving them as a work of high art rather than consuming them - Unfortunately we were so busy ravaging them like starved wolves that there was nothing left but bleached bones and a wisp of aromatic vapor. It was the same process, ingredients, EVERYTHING, but that ONE batch was so outstanding all others have paled in comparison since. One or more items in the recipe obviously possessed special magical qualities that gave us that one truly memorable batch. This is the food gods diddling with our psyche - magic.

I make a nice brown ale, that i have done for more than 20 years. It is a favorite in my house, and we always keep it on hand. It is an old friend I can brew in my sleep. And yet . . . A couple of years ago i made one batch, that was simply ambrosia! It possessed mystical properties of goodness and glory, and was simply the very best beer i have ever made. I did nothing different, numbers were all good. Same water i have used for decades. Same gear, technique, everything. And still, there has never been a better batch. Again, the brew gods were diddling with our minds.

I say: In the end ALL cooking, smoking, brewing, cheese making, and all the other fun consumable hobbies are more magic than science! After all, in the end it is all based on organic ingredients that we have NO control over. A special pig fattens just right on the just right blend of grains. The barley grows especially sweet with fat kernels this year. A higher sap content in the pecan wood in the smoker. And once in a while one of those extra special blends of super ingredients meant for the gods, or fairies, or elves of whatever slips through the cracks and into the hands of we mortals - and a singular totally incredible elixir ensues - MAGIC.

Just sayin'

Well said.
It can't really be science when we cannot control the control variables, right?

Maybe - But i began dwelling in this a decade or so ago when i tried to make a batch of JAOM. First there was the mysterious way that cloudy conglomeration of goo in the gallon jug one day just cleared up into a tasty looking beverage. THEN i tasted it, and realized that I had taken several otherwise tasty delicious ingredients, and turned them into a strange form of toxic cleaning solvent - MAGIC! But THEN, being of the waste-not-want-not school, i put the potion into bottles saving it for a later date when i might need to de-blue a gun, or strip the surface off something, maybe sterilize a pool - ANYWAY, forgot all about this stuff for about 2-1/2 years or so. THEN I found a bottle, and on a whim, I opened it up, and LO! The contents had transformed into a sweet nectar that tasted faintly of honey, orange and spice. WONDERFUL, and clearly magic! o_O

I make a nice brown ale, that i have done for more than 20 years. It is a favorite in my house, and we always keep it on hand. It is an old friend I can brew in my sleep. And yet . . . A couple of years ago i made one batch, that was simply ambrosia! It possessed mystical properties of goodness and glory, and was simply the very best beer i have ever made. I did nothing different, numbers were all good. Same water i have used for decades. Same gear, technique, everything. And still, there has never been a better batch. Again, the brew gods were diddling with our minds.

So maybe somewhere along the way someone messed up at the malt company and they put the wrong malt in the wrong bag and THAT'S why your beer came out so good!

You need to try that same recipe with all of the different malt combinations until you hit Ambrosia again.

That could very well be Homercidal! Very well could be. Then again in might JUST be magic!!!!!! Never can tell. I don't want to get to serious about it - so I will stick with the theory the beer gods granted me a look into Nirvana, as a little tease for my past misbehavior. That tickles my fancy more than the sad pedestrian notion that I got the wrong malt because someone had a case of the Monday's!!!! Besides a little nonsense is good for the soul, and better for your heart than vegetables!

Go Bull Dog Hockey!

Definitely Magic. When you are stirring that steaming kettle, or drinking the final product, you know why the ancients had gods of beer.
I have cast metal too. Pouring flaming glowing metal into a mold requires an incantation too.
Sailing is also magic, but softer.

Definitely Magic. When you are stirring that steaming kettle, or drinking the final product, you know why the ancients had gods of beer.
I have cast metal too. Pouring flaming glowing metal into a mold requires an incantation too.
Sailing is also magic, but softer.
Yes I believe beer is magic, alchemy, and I totally believe sailing, flying, surfing and the like are also magic. My wife says the internet and electronic gadgets that do so much so fast are magic. I have never really brewed the same beer twice. I always change something. This summer I tried to make my first over again and of course forgot the FO hops. Oh well it turned into beer, and pretty good at that. When the stars align and the beer gods are smiling even me, with my funky set up can make great beer. Of course knowing a little bit about the process can help things lineup a lot more frequently that chance. Cheers :D :mug:

Well.... back with the ancient monasteries, with no knowledge of yeast as a living organism, they literally thought fermentation WAS magic.

Back