Beer recipe with Chardonnay or Red Wine grapes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seagondollar

Reaction score
Ive had quite a few beers lately that have had either chardonnay grapes or zinfendale grapes brewed with them, and im curious how to go about it, or has anyone tried this yet?

I'm really interested in this as well! How/where can you get grapes and then do you put them in whole, puree them?

I just ran into a neighbor down the road, who offered me a bunch of his table grapes for free and my first thought was, "how can I incorporate these into beer?"

So I was thinking of taking a pale ale recipe and simply racking it onto sanitized (by heating/boiling) table grapes. Maybe just a couple of pounds for a 5 gallon batch? I shall research this further...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I was recently contemplating this as well.

My involved 5ish lbs of grapes (concord or wild if I can find a good vine/patch). Was going to wash them off good then throw them in a big zip lock bag and freeze them for a couple days, then mash the up, sulfite them, leave them overnight. Next day I was going to brew up a 3.5-4 gallon recipe of an American Pale Ale (pretty basic 2-row, tiny bit of crystal 40-60l, with some wakatu for late addition aroma hops). Throw the mashed up grapes at the bottom of the fermenter and pour the wort on top of this, stir it up real good, pitch and let it ride. I figure because the grapes are going to be so crazy fermentable I want them in primary.

I feel like the beer i tried was literally a simple 2 row and crystal 80 combo with zinfindale puree'd grapes added all together beginning at primary. At least thats what i got out of the brewer who brewed this particular beer. It ended up being about 11% abv, with a nice dry finish.

I feel like the beer i tried was literally a simple 2 row and crystal 80 combo with zinfindale puree'd grapes added all together beginning at primary. At least thats what i got out of the brewer who brewed this particular beer. It ended up being about 11% abv, with a nice dry finish.

Any ideas on the type of yeast used?

Any ideas on what type of yeast to use?

I would imagine an ale yeast. Wine yeast I would imagine could finish too dry. The one I tried was probably like a 1.086 OG and a 1.008 FG roughly. It was 11% or so. I would guess that because he said all his beers finish around 1.008ish, as he goes for a drier finish to his beers.

Back