Beer Prices on the upswing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdWort

Reaction score
I just got back from the store. I can't go there without taking a pass through the beer section. I just noticed something.

All Sierra Nevad six packs are $8.49 each and most other micros are selling for $7.99 and up for a six pack. Naturally, Dogfish is even higher.

Wow. I usually will grab a sixer or 4 when I see them on sale at $5.99, but I never really noticed such a high price.

I think I'm off to Sam's club tomorrow to stock up on enough SNPA at $18.99 a case to last me till my brews mature. I hope their price has not gone up too.

Yeah, everything is going up. But wait... You can get SNPA for $18.99/case?

It's funny that you mention that particular beer. I just put the lid on a clone of that. On my way back home from LHBS, I calculated the money saved at $4.25 a sixer if I make it myself. You really can save some money by HBing.

Really,

hmmmm. In raw materials, yes it may be substantially more inexpensive but total cost is way higher homebrewing. I am sure that there are a couple k in my equipment costs. By the way time is money and I do spend a fair amount of time with the hobby. Fuel also comes into factor.
All that said, I love brewing - I don't see a cost savings. Cheap beer can be had.

Fingers said:
You're new at this, aren't you? ;)
5 AG batches under my belt. Meh, I think since I work work for a beer distro that sells the SWILL, I have always compared the price of my HB to that crap. If you do that, IMHO, you will never feel like you save some money. I never thought of comparing it to a quality beer in the $7-$9 sixer range.

LostDakota I never thought of comparing it to a quality beer in the $7-$9 sixer range.[/quote said:
Me neither till I started brewing all grain. Now, IMHO, my beer is much better than a lot of those $7 six packs, yet only costs me less than 8 bucks for 5 gallons to make.

Still, it's not the savings, it's the hobby, the better beer, and the look on peoples faces when they taste it.

I get the biggest enjoyment when folks try my beer and they want more.

EdWort said:
I get the biggest enjoyment when folks try my beer and they want more.

I get the biggest enjoyment from people trying your recipes and wanting more of my beer too ;-) Thanks for your contributions around here EdWort.

a 12 pak of #9 here in VT is usually 11.99 so figure $1.00/bottle...

AG gives me a cost of abt $0.60 per bottle if making the famous Haus Pale Ale !

EdWort said:
I just got back from the store. I can't go there without taking a pass through the beer section. I just noticed something.

All Sierra Nevad six packs are $8.49 each and most other micros are selling for $7.99 and up for a six pack. Naturally, Dogfish is even higher.

Wow. I usually will grab a sixer or 4 when I see them on sale at $5.99, but I never really noticed such a high price.

I think I'm off to Sam's club tomorrow to stock up on enough SNPA at $18.99 a case to last me till my brews mature. I hope their price has not gone up too.

SNPA is 9.49 here and Dogfish is 10 something plus deposit but Sams has a case for 18.99 here as well God I love that place!:D

The fact that you guys have a Sams Club that sells beer is just crazy to me. I hate Maryland.

MULE said:
The fact that you guys have a Sams Club that sells beer is just crazy to me. I hate Maryland.

In St. Louis, Sam's sell booze too! I always pick up a bottle of Glenlivit when I'm there. :D

Wow. I quit working at the wine/beer shop a few months ago, and haven't bought a commercial bottle of beer in gawd knows how long. I guess it's not a surprise, but I just haven't paid much attention---as I'm always nuts-deep in homebrew. With the ungodly amount of beer I have right now, I could probably stop brewing now and easily make it though the end of the year.

But we all know that that ain't happening. :D

I never understand why you guys calculate time as a cost. The only costs should be your brewing toys and supplies. Homebrewing is a hobby. It's not a job. We don't make money off of it.

Hobby: An activity or interest pursued outside one's regular occupation and engaged in primarily for pleasure.

Sure it takes a lot of time to make a batch, but it is cheap entertainment. What else can you do where you pay $10-30 bucks for 5-10 hours of entertainment and get $50-100 worth of beer?

I'm looking forward to a point where all of my basic beers like pale ales, IPA's, etc... are all homebrewed. Then I plan on only spending money on individual bottles of high end or hard to find beers.

njnear76 said:
I never understand why you guys calculate time as a cost. The only costs should be your brewing toys and supplies. Homebrewing is a hobby. It's not a job. We don't make money off of it.

Hobby: An activity or interest pursued outside one's regular occupation and engaged in primarily for pleasure.

Sure it takes a lot of time to make a batch, but it is cheap entertainment. What else can you do where you pay $10-30 bucks for 5-10 hours of entertainment and get $50-100 worth of beer?

Agreed. How can you put a price on something like that? Imagine you enjoyed working on cars, and at the end of installing a new floorpan, you can buy your favorite Microbrew for like 50 Cents a bottle. Same outcome!

It's like saying, "I sure like sex, but the time involved makes it a bit more cost prohibitive..."

I'm so glad for mass consumption I can drink Natty BOH's! Still $20 for 2 cases!

On a side note, that guy EdWort hasn't done anything great for the hobby, I mean cases and points:

That Apfelwien stuff, it's less than $0.25 a bottle and I get nothing but "this is awesome" from everyone

The Stone IPA clone of his, jesus, when I bottle it in Stone IPA bottles, people tell me how much they love that stuff, and when I break the news to them I made it, they call BS....until they go look at the bottle cap...

I mean seriously, that's what you get Ed for bragging about your sub $20 cases of SNPA at Sam's Club

Oh, BTW, your Stone IPA Clone will be my house beer, SWMBO agrees, it's teh ish!

:D

Back