Quantcast

Beer Prices on the upswing?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

EdWort

Reaction score
I just got back from the store. I can't go there without taking a pass through the beer section. I just noticed something.

All Sierra Nevad six packs are $8.49 each and most other micros are selling for $7.99 and up for a six pack. Naturally, Dogfish is even higher.

Wow. I usually will grab a sixer or 4 when I see them on sale at $5.99, but I never really noticed such a high price.

I think I'm off to Sam's club tomorrow to stock up on enough SNPA at $18.99 a case to last me till my brews mature. I hope their price has not gone up too.

LostDakota

Reaction score
Yeah, everything is going up. But wait... You can get SNPA for $18.99/case?

It's funny that you mention that particular beer. I just put the lid on a clone of that. On my way back home from LHBS, I calculated the money saved at $4.25 a sixer if I make it myself. You really can save some money by HBing.

Beertk

Reaction score
Really,

hmmmm. In raw materials, yes it may be substantially more inexpensive but total cost is way higher homebrewing. I am sure that there are a couple k in my equipment costs. By the way time is money and I do spend a fair amount of time with the hobby. Fuel also comes into factor.
All that said, I love brewing - I don't see a cost savings. Cheap beer can be had.

LostDakota

Reaction score
Fingers said:
You're new at this, aren't you? ;)
5 AG batches under my belt. Meh, I think since I work work for a beer distro that sells the SWILL, I have always compared the price of my HB to that crap. If you do that, IMHO, you will never feel like you save some money. I never thought of comparing it to a quality beer in the $7-$9 sixer range.

OP
EdWort

EdWort

Reaction score
LostDakota I never thought of comparing it to a quality beer in the $7-$9 sixer range.[/quote said:
Me neither till I started brewing all grain. Now, IMHO, my beer is much better than a lot of those $7 six packs, yet only costs me less than 8 bucks for 5 gallons to make.

Still, it's not the savings, it's the hobby, the better beer, and the look on peoples faces when they taste it.

I get the biggest enjoyment when folks try my beer and they want more.

Poindexter

Reaction score
EdWort said:
I get the biggest enjoyment when folks try my beer and they want more.
I get the biggest enjoyment from people trying your recipes and wanting more of my beer too ;-) Thanks for your contributions around here EdWort.

kappclark

Reaction score
a 12 pak of #9 here in VT is usually 11.99 so figure $1.00/bottle...

AG gives me a cost of abt $0.60 per bottle if making the famous Haus Pale Ale !

RICLARK

Reaction score
EdWort said:
I just got back from the store. I can't go there without taking a pass through the beer section. I just noticed something.

All Sierra Nevad six packs are $8.49 each and most other micros are selling for $7.99 and up for a six pack. Naturally, Dogfish is even higher.

Wow. I usually will grab a sixer or 4 when I see them on sale at $5.99, but I never really noticed such a high price.

I think I'm off to Sam's club tomorrow to stock up on enough SNPA at $18.99 a case to last me till my brews mature. I hope their price has not gone up too.
SNPA is 9.49 here and Dogfish is 10 something plus deposit but Sams has a case for 18.99 here as well God I love that place!:D

MULE

Reaction score
The owner of the beer store I go to said it was because of the gas prices.

MULE

Reaction score
The fact that you guys have a Sams Club that sells beer is just crazy to me. I hate Maryland.

OP
EdWort

EdWort

Reaction score
MULE said:
The fact that you guys have a Sams Club that sells beer is just crazy to me. I hate Maryland.
In St. Louis, Sam's sell booze too! I always pick up a bottle of Glenlivit when I'm there. :D

EricK The Red

Reaction score
I don't know how my local store does it, but I just bought a 12 of Saranac Oktoberfest for $9.99 and a CASE (24 beers) of Magic Hat's Roxie Rolles for $12.99!!!

I love my local shop! :ban:

crazy_piump

Reaction score
Just picked up a 12 of Sam Adams Brewer's Selection for 15.36 w/ tax. Not too bad but Homebrewing is more fun.

Evan!

Reaction score
Wow. I quit working at the wine/beer shop a few months ago, and haven't bought a commercial bottle of beer in gawd knows how long. I guess it's not a surprise, but I just haven't paid much attention---as I'm always nuts-deep in homebrew. With the ungodly amount of beer I have right now, I could probably stop brewing now and easily make it though the end of the year.

But we all know that that ain't happening. :D

njnear76

Reaction score
I never understand why you guys calculate time as a cost. The only costs should be your brewing toys and supplies. Homebrewing is a hobby. It's not a job. We don't make money off of it.

Hobby: An activity or interest pursued outside one's regular occupation and engaged in primarily for pleasure.

Sure it takes a lot of time to make a batch, but it is cheap entertainment. What else can you do where you pay $10-30 bucks for 5-10 hours of entertainment and get $50-100 worth of beer?

McKBrew

Reaction score
I'm looking forward to a point where all of my basic beers like pale ales, IPA's, etc... are all homebrewed. Then I plan on only spending money on individual bottles of high end or hard to find beers.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
njnear76 said:
I never understand why you guys calculate time as a cost. The only costs should be your brewing toys and supplies. Homebrewing is a hobby. It's not a job. We don't make money off of it.

Hobby: An activity or interest pursued outside one's regular occupation and engaged in primarily for pleasure.

Sure it takes a lot of time to make a batch, but it is cheap entertainment. What else can you do where you pay $10-30 bucks for 5-10 hours of entertainment and get $50-100 worth of beer?
Agreed. How can you put a price on something like that? Imagine you enjoyed working on cars, and at the end of installing a new floorpan, you can buy your favorite Microbrew for like 50 Cents a bottle. Same outcome!

It's like saying, "I sure like sex, but the time involved makes it a bit more cost prohibitive..."

98EXL

Reaction score
I'm so glad for mass consumption I can drink Natty BOH's! Still $20 for 2 cases!

On a side note, that guy EdWort hasn't done anything great for the hobby, I mean cases and points:

That Apfelwien stuff, it's less than $0.25 a bottle and I get nothing but "this is awesome" from everyone

The Stone IPA clone of his, jesus, when I bottle it in Stone IPA bottles, people tell me how much they love that stuff, and when I break the news to them I made it, they call BS....until they go look at the bottle cap...

I mean seriously, that's what you get Ed for bragging about your sub $20 cases of SNPA at Sam's Club

Oh, BTW, your Stone IPA Clone will be my house beer, SWMBO agrees, it's teh ish!

:D