Beer pours at restaurants (BW3's)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yet another reason I love the local brewpub, all the pint glasses are 20oz and has "An Honest Pint Guaranteed" screened on to it. The literature states that it is 20oz so you can have the proper head and still get a pint of beer.

OTOH I'm in the "Mug club" so I get a 25oz mug, best one time $25 I ever spent (also has other benefits)
I always saw these mug clubs while traveling and wanted to be part of one, but was never in the same place enough to justify. And my **** town has no brew pubs

I do believe it is .25 lb of beef before being cooked.
yeah, 1/4 pound if precooked weight as are I believe all restaurant meat weight claims.

Is any of this a real surprise?

Oh my, corporate America is nickel and diming the consumer to pad the profit margin so they can give themselves huge raises and drive their companies into the ground so the government can bail them out so the same consumers who were ripped off can pay more taxes, a;sdkljfo[;'iaweauoasd;fja

Arrgh! I need a beer!

It's crap like that at restaurants I can't stand. Like neat charges for scotch. Who the hell has expensive scotch on the rocks anyways? (Yeah, I know, there's always someone...)
:off: And what's wrong with ice in your Scotch, expensive or otherwise? Drink it how you like it. It doesn't ruin the whisky, no matter what the snobs might say.

Sometimes I'm in the mood for a neat "expensive" Scotch, sometimes I'll put in on the rocks to taste how the flavor changes as the ice melts and it mixes with water. Does that make me "someone"?

/ :off:

-Joe

:off: And what's wrong with ice in your Scotch, expensive or otherwise? Drink it how you like it. It doesn't ruin the whisky, no matter what the snobs might say.

Sometimes I'm in the mood for a neat "expensive" Scotch, sometimes I'll put in on the rocks to taste how the flavor changes as the ice melts and it mixes with water. Does that make me "someone"?

-Joe

I think you are the "someone" he was referring to. :D

Yikes, 127 posts in about 6 hours? You guys have been busy:)

Anyway, going back to the OP, I see this stuff all the time. I go to a bar-not even a restaurant, necessarily- and order a beer. They ask if I want a mug or a pint. I always say a pint. Then they pour my beer into a 12 oz glass. I say, that's not a pint, it's 12oz. So then I have to buy a 12 oz bottle of something and pour it into the glass to prove it to them. When they see that, they don't know what to say, except "gee, I was always told they were pint glasses".

-Joe
Hello, someone.

Yes, in fact I do believe ice ruins the whiskey in some cases. Johnny Walker Blue, MaCallan, Caol Ila, all are best neat.

But have it however you want it.

My point about neat charges was more to the point of restaurants charging a neat fee (and not advertising that until you get the bill). I got into an argument with a waiter about that before. He didn't have a good explanation and the $2 went onto the already $24 for a glass of JWB. The manager wasn't there either. Kind of bugged me.

Wait, am I missing something here?

You are getting charged for NOT having ice in your drink? Like... you order an oz of scotch ... and it costs you extra to not have anything added to it?

Sorry... it's past my bedtime... maybe I'm not understanding something...

ahhhh...thats why I love Germany, every glass that you get any kind of liquid in, coffee, soda, beer, has a line on it, and by LAW they must fill it to that line.

There's a reason for the line (and it's found in Europe in places other than Germany), and the OP illustrates the point perfectly. But if they're advertising a 23 oz. (?!?!) beer and not pouring that much, you should be able to have that rectified. My guess? It'll be corrected by trashing the menus that state 23 oz.....and probably the amount of beer will no longer be specified. Thank you, corporate bean counters.

Q: Why are there so many corporate bean counters in the U.S.?
A: Because St. Patrick chased the snakes out of Ireland.

:mug:

Wait, am I missing something here?

You are getting charged for NOT having ice in your drink? Like... you order an oz of scotch ... and it costs you extra to not have anything added to it?

Sorry... it's past my bedtime... maybe I'm not understanding something...
Yes. Supposedly the neat charge is added because the restaurant adds just a little bit extra to the poured amount so as to make it look bigger in the glass. That would be fine except:

1. How can you be sure they added the extra?

2. Given what the OP stated about beer I wouldn't be surprised if some places just charged you extra money without pouring additional whiskey.

3. Restaurants (in my experience) generally hide the neat charge, until it's time to pay.

Here's a beer guage you can take with you to make sure you're getting the right amount of beer.

And this article shows the difference in appearance between one of the 14 oz glasses and a 16 oz pint glass. The extra glass in the bottom definitely gives it away.

The guy who started the Honest Pint Project that was mentioned earlier actually took a measuring cup to bars and checked the pour in the bathroom if necessary.

This guage is very interesting but how can it be designed for anything but One specific beer glass? If I get a glass with a different slop angle wouldn't this cause the guage to not be accurate? BTW they can be purchased here. MODS If this is illegal product placement please delete. But I wanted to know where to buy after reading the interview myself so here it is.

The Beer Gauge Get Your Money Worth Pint Glass beer gift beer card

Yeah, those look pretty useful (and cheap, to the point where I would consider ordering some with my friends), but you'd have to ask if the price was for a glass or a pint, wouldn't you?

Again: if we want 16 ounces of beer, we need to have it served in a bigger glass. I want a full pint and a decent amount of head, and that's not possible in a shaker pint.

Bring on the yonic pints! Oh wait, that's something else :)

The glass is exactly 23 ounces at the rim, it is intended for 20 oz of beer. Most chain restaurants carry the exact same glass, and most are switching to this "23 oz Big Ass Glass" and givinng 19-20 ounces of beer. If I saw a server whip up my drink with a papered straw, I would slap the **** out of them.

Yes. Supposedly the neat charge is added because the restaurant adds just a little bit extra to the poured amount so as to make it look bigger in the glass. That would be fine except:

1. How can you be sure they added the extra?

2. Given what the OP stated about beer I wouldn't be surprised if some places just charged you extra money without pouring additional whiskey.

3. Restaurants (in my experience) generally hide the neat charge, until it's time to pay.

I see you have missed the go around for the neat charge. Have them toss a single cube in. Then when you get your scotch, remove it. A good scotch should have a small drab of ice water anyway to bring out the bouquet.

If everyone were as concerned with government waste the way they are about an ounce of beer or 1/64 of an ounce of hamburger or 3 drops of scotch, we would be swimming in money.

Just sayin.;)

Yikes, 127 posts in about 6 hours? You guys have been busy:)

Anyway, going back to the OP, I see this stuff all the time. I go to a bar-not even a restaurant, necessarily- and order a beer. They ask if I want a mug or a pint. I always say a pint. Then they pour my beer into a 12 oz glass. I say, that's not a pint, it's 12oz. So then I have to buy a 12 oz bottle of something and pour it into the glass to prove it to them. When they see that, they don't know what to say, except "gee, I was always told they were pint glasses".

Bernie, some buddies and I did that a couple of years ago. What they were advertising as pints were just thick bottom glasses that held 12 oz.

Found this on the Ohio Liquor Control web site :

4301:1-1-44 Advertising.

(6) The advertisement of any alcoholic beverage shall not contain any statement that is false or untrue in any material particular, or that, irrespective of falsity, directly, or by ambiguity, omission, or inference, or by the addition of irrelevant, scientific, or technical matter tends to create a misleading impression.

:off:The other benefit of the single ice cube is it will bring the temp of the scotch closer to a proper serving temp. Even most of the best Scotch bars leave their bottles under bright lights and are serving hot Scotch, which is way less than ideal.

Where do you hang out in Madison? I get out there every once in a while. We always end up at the Weary Traveler. That's my favorite spot.

:off:The other benefit of the single ice cube is it will bring the temp of the scotch closer to a proper serving temp. Even most of the best Scotch bars leave their bottles under bright lights and are serving hot Scotch, which is way less than ideal.

Where do you hang out in Madison? I get out there every once in a while. We always end up at the Weary Traveler. That's my favorite spot.
Never been there. I usually hang out at Brasserie V, The Brocach, The Irish Pub, Porta Bella, or Gino's. I live on the east side pretty close to downtown and that's where the closest good bars and pubs are.

Oh man! You have to hang out on Willy street some time. The traveler is the best bar I have been to in Mad town. Great food, cheap, and a good tap selection. Is Maduro still open?

Yeah, Maduro is still there and they're still able to serve cigars. I'll have to check out the Weary Traveler when I get back to the states, I've been to Jolly Bob's a few times and a bunch of other bars on Willy St whose names escape me at the moment because I was drunk.

Good for you. I think that's just plain weak. The last time i went to a BW3, i ordered a SNPA, the only decent beer they had on tap and was served a natty light "by mistake" - i quickly told the waitress and she corrected it, but i have a feeling that they knew damn well they were serving me natty light instead of more expensive SN. I'm all for telling these folks the way you feel. And i usually have been a fan, in fact, i met my wife at a BW3, but they've pretty much been sliding downhill.

Did they really think they could pass one off like that? I mean it's not like someone would order SNPA if they didn't know what it tasted like.

I'm becoming too interested in this subject. I've been checking pints for falsie bottoms and know damn well I got a short pour on my IPA last night, but since it's 'get all the beer I paid for' or 'have a decent amount of head,' and I also don't like confrontations... I mean when I order 'the IPA' am I ordering a pint of it or a glass? And since it was mediocre, is it really something worth fighting over?

Back