Beer pours at restaurants (BW3's)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I knew I had a BW3 big ass beer glass from a promotion a while back. I dug it out and measured the contents. As you can see, it is 23 ounces if it is full to the rim with NO FOAM.

BW3BeerGlass.jpg

I am in the camp that you are at a wing place ordering a really cheap ML; just drink it and be happy.

I am in a different camp. Complaining and rectifying rip off tactics about beer measures should start at BMC and trickle down. People that drink the good stuff already know what to expect from their beer. It is time to educate the uneducated......Yeah, I know that comes off as looking beer snobby, but nobody wants to get ripped off whatever they drink.

Makes me wish I didn't have a full plate this afternoon. I'd go grab my boss and tell him that we need to do some research at BW3. I could go for a few 19oz. Boston Lager's :D :mug:

I knew I had a BW3 big ass beer glass from a promotion a while back. I dug it out and measured the contents. As you can see, it is 23 ounces if it is full to the rim with NO FOAM.

well thank you Ed. I'd say we can all go to bed now. Now it's your poersonal decision if you want to order 19oz beer and pay 23oz price for it. or just sit at the bar a few times get to know the Barkeep, and say, hey, mind filling that all the way up. Thanks. show him your appreciation in your tip. OR....we're all HomeBrewers here, stay home and and drink better beer and more of it!

Not the way I see it. This sort of thing happens a lot. People think they know a lot about beer, then start spouting crap that is either mildly incorrect or straight up blasphemy. I don't think the OP went over board and he handled the situation well. I am just saying that unless you are 100% positive you are right about something, you end up looking like a big loser if you call someone or someplace on something and end up being wrong.

Adding information is not snobbish, and I am NOT a beer snob. I do know a lot about beer, but there is no reason in my opinion to ever be snobby about it.

I am in the camp that you are at a wing place ordering a really cheap ML; just drink it and be happy. If that is the way BW3 thinks a beer should be poured it is their restaurant and if they are making that choice I am sure a lot of people are liking it or they would have negative effects and go back tot he old way. Again, if you want a good proper beer, go to a more beer friendly bar.

From Webster:"snob - one who has an offensive air of superiority in matters of knowledge or taste". *DING*

The issue at hand is not the quality of the restaurant or beer, but one of honesty in business practices and marketing. It would be one thing if they changed their menu to read "20 oz. draft - $3.50". But they didn't, they changed the volume of beer served under the pretense that it is a proper pour. Yes, agreed that a beer should have a full healthy head. But, in England, Germany, and other countries, this is taken into account and is illegal to pull what BW3 is doing. It is dishonest and sneaky. The corporates just hope that people will do as you suggest and sheepishly accept what is given.

I disagree. Europe uses proper glasses and sells beer in .25L, .33L, .5L, and 1L amounts and the glasses have proper room for head.

BW3 advertises the full capacity of the glass, yet shorts the customer with foam. It's the oldest trick in the beerman's book to boost profits.

It's the truth. And you can't argue with it. I try often to argue against truth in this forum, but I cannot argue the pure logic of this post.

That is the word.

It's crap like that at restaurants I can't stand. Like neat charges for scotch. Who the hell has expensive scotch on the rocks anyways? (Yeah, I know, there's always someone...)

I say whoever sent that last email, send this thread link to the same guy. Let him know this is a small internet community passionate about beer and we all have large groups of friends that value our input on beer. Mention, "I understand if you don't care about a few people because you're a huge corporation, but don't spout about caring about beer, when you obviously don't and please be aware that we are all well aware that what you are doing is border line if not Illegal."

well thank you Ed. I'd say we can all go to bed now. Now it's your poersonal decision if you want to order 19oz beer and pay 23oz price for it. or just sit at the bar a few times get to know the Barkeep, and say, hey, mind filling that all the way up. Thanks. show him your appreciation in your tip. OR....we're all HomeBrewers here, stay home and and drink better beer and more of it!

Or we can spread the word and voice our opinion about their deceptive practices and ask them to stop.

Buffalo Wild Wings - Contact Us

I'm sure a lawyer would love to setup a class action for all the beer drinkers that have been shorted. :cross:

The corporates just hope that people will do as you suggest and sheepishly accept what is given.

You miss my mark good sir. I suggest taking your business else where. If you think that by continuing to purchase their beer and writing them nasty emails they will change a practice that is obviously making them rich...

I say, go somewhere else as the OP suggested he would if he was indeed being shorted. The most power you have as a consumer is to choose where to spend you money.

For example, I don't agree with BW3's business model, so I have never given them a dime of my money. I have eaten there, and it was fine, but I have never given them my money and never will. This short pour issue just goes onto the list of reasons.

I find that most chains have this mind set because they are large corporations, not privately owner and impassioned places of business.

OK. before I use Ed's link to write them a nasty gram, are we sure this is a nation wide thing. I don't really want my name attached to something that makes me look like an idiot. [Again, see my advice above about not acting like a beer snob and then turning out to be an idiot *DING* ;)]

I'm so happy to have a decent beer bar within walking distance that sells draft pints on Sunday's after 7 pm for $2.50 a pint. It's a true pint with the glass filled to the rim.

Gotta love Little Woodrow's in Bee Cave, home of the Hill Country Homebrew Club

BK - I think a vast majority of operations in the restaurant and bar business are run this way and that's just the sad truth of it.

I used to work as a chef and bartender and I can tell you that in the end the companies who valued high quality service and product over the bottom line were never going to break the bank. But, they were by far better places to work and the owners/managers/employees were happier people.

And if you were to bring up this issue, I'm sure the corporate stance would be that "it's a promotional glass that is not intended to be used for daily operations, and therefore, cannot be held to those claims." Just thinking corporate-ish.

Ummm... am I missing something? What's the 3rd W in BW3?

And to keep in line with the thread - A pint is a pint is a pint. Any restaurant that tries to swindle you out of a few ounces should be ashamed of themselves. Usually this kind of management decision is not atypical for an organization and indicates "cheapness" throughout. In the long run, businesses that cheat the consumer never last. They'll get what they deserve.

That being said, I've always found it hard to visually judge what a true pint is. I've tried before and I'm always off. Dont judge a pint unless you've got the tools to do it.

Ummm... am I missing something? What's the 3rd W in BW3?

And to keep in line with the thread - A pint is a pint is a pint. Any restaurant that tries to swindle you out of a few ounces should be ashamed of themselves. Usually this kind of management decision is not atypical for an organization and indicates "cheapness" throughout. In the long run, businesses that cheat the consumer never last. They'll get what they deserve.

That being said, I've always found it hard to visually judge what a true pint is. I've tried before and I'm always off. Dont judge a pint unless you've got the tools to do it.

That is why we need lines on the glasses like the rest of the free world. :)

If they are offering 23 ounces of beer, and only giving 19, then there is a problem.

However, if they are offering "a 23 ounce beer", then that might indicate that they are offering a 23 ounce glass filled with beer and a proper 1" head. (Although, what the hell is the point of the head on a Miller Light? It's not like it has any aroma anyway...)

If they are offering 23 ounces of beer, and only giving 19, then there is a problem.

However, if they are offering "a 23 ounce beer", then that might indicate that they are offering a 23 ounce glass filled with beer and a proper 1" head. (Although, what the hell is the point of the head on a Miller Light? It's not like it has any aroma anyway...)

This is where I would bet they are hanging their hat. It is a 23 ounce experience, not just 23 oz of beer. That way it is sooo much better.

And if you were to bring up this issue, I'm sure the corporate stance would be that "it's a promotional glass that is not intended to be used for daily operations, and therefore, cannot be held to those claims." Just thinking corporate-ish.

Nope, it's the same glass that they still use today.

Has anyone actually verified the volume of the glass that is the root of this stink as the same one pictured?

Not to nit-pick, but it's WECK Weck is the sauce.

For some reason, old people around here say it wick. I think it's how you're supposed to, I guess? They also pronounce 'creek' 'crick' and call ground beef 'hamburg' (oh yeah, we gave you guys burgers too; you're welcome).

But buffalo wings aren't a mainstay of WNY. We don't know what those are. We eat chicken wings and wonder what the hell the rest of the country is talking about.

Yet another reason I love the local brewpub, all the pint glasses are 20oz and has "An Honest Pint Guaranteed" screened on to it. The literature states that it is 20oz so you can have the proper head and still get a pint of beer.

OTOH I'm in the "Mug club" so I get a 25oz mug, best one time $25 I ever spent (also has other benefits)

I didn't read all 12 page but I'm sure someone has mentioned "short pints"? or whatever they are calling them.. looks like a pint glass, feels like a pint glass but has more glass on the bottom, making it NOT a pint glass.

All the more reason to stay home and drink my own damm beer.

Back