Beer mustard - best style?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brettwasbtd

Awesomeness Award Winnner
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Purchased some yellow and brown mustard seeds to give a go at my own beer mustard.

Have your made beer mustard before? And if so what style of beer did you use?

I have a R.I.S. and dunkel readily available but feel like something hoppy would be more appropriate?

Id go for hoppy or a spicy saison......but thats basically my response to 90% of the things that are said to me so take it with a grain of salt

Last edited:
so I royally messed up on my first batch. I did 50% yellow and 50% brown mustard seeds, some apple cider vinegar and some russian imperial stout. After soaking for a day I put it all in the vitamix and blended it up, then put it in a jar... a few hours later I realized I didn't add sugar, salt etc. I tasted it and WOAH spicy and bleh. I will be trying again, probably 3:1 on the yellow:brown mustard seed ration and remembering my spice additions!

not sure if this helps, but saw this at the grocery store

IMG_0252.jpg

not sure if this helps, but saw this at the grocery store

View attachment 349149
Thanks! Interesting the hoppy beers aren't used

Is there going to be enough beer in that stuff to actually affect the taste?

thats a good question. the recipe I did was
1/2 cup beer
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup mustard seeds

I was to busy cursing and having my nostrils writhe in pain to taste and of the R.I.S. haha - I got that like wasabi burn in my nostrils, not pleasant

All I need is something else to make myself. Another hobby.

Nobody else in the house eats much mustard. I don't really either, but I'm curious to try some different flavors. I could make some small cups of it and see what happens.

An IPA mustard sounds really interesting.

All I need is something else to make myself. Another hobby.

Nobody else in the house eats much mustard. I don't really either, but I'm curious to try some different flavors. I could make some small cups of it and see what happens.

An IPA mustard sounds really interesting.

I had an IPA mustard at a bar in DE a few years ago that used dogfish head ipa in it. Made by the chef, ate it with soft pretzels and it was delicious.

Back